Question

j4g3

Making payments to a derogatory account and my score has gone down.
I have started to make payments to a derogatory (medical) account that is over 5 years old and because of this my score has gone down. I thought that by making an effort was a plus. What should I do? I'd like to tell them to shove it. The interest is higher than the original bill.

Since you started making payments, you revived the account, so now it seems newer than it is.  There's nothing you can do about that, but you can ask them if they'll remove the account from your credit report once it is paid off.  If they agree, get it in writing.  Yes, interest etc. does add up, but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate with the debt holder and offer to pay it off for a lesser amount.  Ask them to remove some of the interest, etc.  It doesn't hurt to try.  Best of luck.