Question

Finance1011

Length of credit history affected by divorce
Does anyone have any suggestions about your length credit history being severely impacted after a divorce? My ex and I paid off the cards and closed them 4 years ago. One of them we had opened jointly 23 years ago. My full credit history report with the credit bureaus shows that account, and others, that are very old. But it is not being factored into my length, which it shows to average 3.5 years. It seems to only be showing cards I opened after my divorce in my name only. That doesn't seem fair, since my credit history is actually very long, and good, except I get a D now in length. any suggestions?

one thing that does help is if you have a family member who will add you onto one of their cards as an authorized user. make sure its been open for at least a couple of years and the balance is very low.