Question

MariT75

lenght item can remain in credit report
How long can an item stay on your credit report after it is in collection? I read somewhere that it takes 7yrs. I ask because, it has been more than 7 yrs and I have now received a letter of wage garnishment. I am not familiar with this so I wondered if they are even able to continue pursuing this after more than 7 yrs and is the only way to remove this by claiming bankruptcy. I have been trying to repair my credit and see my score has improved although it is still poor but I would hate to have all my hard work in repairing this to go to waste if bankruptcy is the option.

The statute of limitations on debt is not directly related to the credit reporting laws. If you are receiving a wage garnishment then most likely there has been some legal action taken that establishes the right of the creditor to recover damages. That usually shows up as a public record item on your report. The only way you can stop the wage garnishment is to make a deal with the creditor.

However, what should happen is that the debt item will fall off your report after 7 years, but will then show as a public record item if the creditor took further action, and will remain for another 10 years.