Question

Magcat21

Is this even legal? Reporting false late payments? Repossession? Help!
I started financing a vehicle in May 2015. Unfortunately, due to circumstances out of my hand I was late on my payment that was due on July 1st 2015. The dealership repossessed the car on July 23rd 2015. On July 24th I went to the dealership and paid the monthly amount, plus the repo fee and also agreed to pay the amount of $366.49 every Thursday for the next 3 weeks. They returned my car and since then I have not failed to make any payment. I have always been on time and have not had a problem.
However, on January 2017 they finally started reporting to a credit bureau (not a single payment had been reported in the 2 years prior) and they have reported that the account is closed, the status is repossession and both payments I have made in January 2017 and February show as "Failed to pay". Needless to say, this has screwed up my credit score.

My question is, shouldn't they have reported the reposession when it happened back in 2015? Are they allowed to report they the account just went negative in 2017? Does this count as re-aging the account in a negative way?

Please help! I already went to talk to them but they said they tried to have the credit bureau to remove it but they declined to do so.

Contact an attorney on this right away. A consumer law attorney or one that handles FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) cases would be knowledgable in this area even though the FDCPA mainly pertains to debt collectors. If this happened as you say it happened, they are not allowed to do this and they are violating the law. Keep copies of everything, including a copy of your current credit report showing this. Many law firms will give free consultations, just find a firm familiar in this area of law.