Question

ssh2pd

if i pay all of my credit card debt by jan 2014 what can my credit score increase to by may
it is currently 558 on here and 507 on freecreditreport. i am 21 and a senior finance major and fear that my credit score will prevent me from getting a job

Most Helpful Response

Without more details it is hard to even estimate. Reducing your utilization from 90% to 20% could potentially increase your score by as much as 150 points, assuming you have no late pays.

Have you tried the debt simulator? It's somewhat helpful.

It's my understanding that fair or average credit is OK for financial positions. I'd be more concerned about active delinquencies and negative stuff like bankruptcy, so I'd start with the delinquencies. Between that and paying off your other revolving debt you should see a decent improvement. Make sure you're paying on time every month and pull all three reports to confirm that there aren't any errors.

Even with all of this it takes several months for all changes to appear on your report(s).