Question

sportyman

I still don't understand why this has not come off our Credit Report.
About a month ago

chapt 13 vs chapt 7

chapter 13 takes seven years since the file date,  to come off your report. chapter 7 takes ten years to come off your credit report

angela554

This is not accurate information.  It is actually the exact opposite!  Chap. 7 is an immediate discharge of debt (7 years on credit report) chap. 13 is a repayment plan to trustee (payment time PLUS 7 years)!!  You guys really need to not give advice you're not trained in and people reading this really need to seek the advice of a bankruptcy attorney....

How long does it take for closed accounts to come off your credit report

sdgolden

I have been in your place.  I spent two years fighting with the creditors to make them take the stale reports off.  Go to all 3 credit reporting agencies and file disputes.  Make sure you respond to the creditors promptly when they try to say the accounts are going to remain.  One thing I will tell you, is stand firm.  They will get nasty with you and you need to hold your ground with them.  After two years of nightmare, all of these old accounts are now off my credit profile. 

Good luck. 

Dnelson594

7 years.

Most Helpful Response

Chapter 7

What is a chapter 7 ten year and who is responable for setting the amount of time?

It appears that creditor have too much power over the credit companies.

Thank you,

southernbell56

I agree that having my Bankrupty on my credit for 10 years is way to long. I thought it was only for 7 years. It wasn't till I saw my credit report that I saw it was going to be on there for 10 years. I can't wait to have it come off of my credit  because some Credit Card companies want give me a card due to the Bankrupty. I have a really good credit score so I really don't understand why I  got turned down by Chase to get my own card. I have a Chase card through my fiance but I wanted one in my own name.Thank you for listening.

Bankruptcy Conversion

I filed a Chapter 13 in 2010 which was later converted to a Chapter 7 in August of 2015. When do both ultimately come off of my credit report?

Jasper2

A chapter 7 filing stays on your credit report for 10 years from the date of filing.  The chapter 13 is irrelevant to your credit report, (even if it shows up).  A chapter 13 stays on your report for 7 years, however.  You should, however, be able to start repairing your credit with one or two low limit, high interest credit cards---paid in full, on time, every month without fail, in a year or so.

School debt solution

If you have not done so already, contact your loan servicing company. You may be eligible for a number of different repayment options such as Income based, Income contingent and Pay as you Earn, to name a few.

student loans

It is not wholly accurate that student loans are nondischargeable. Besides not being the only nondischargeable debts (criminal or administrative restitution and fines, child support and debts found fraudulent or induced by in improper or illegal means are a few of such a category), they are also partially dischategsble, maybe even substantially, when included in a 13'after the plan is net, usually a few verb cents on the dollar.

Jenn0529

I was able to get my student loans discharged, but only because I became disabled. It is a very very long process to do and it takes forever. You have to be declared disabled and you can't try to do that for 2 years. Plus part of them doing it, you agree not to try to get another loan in the future! Which hasn't been a problem for me because I am now basically bedbound from being a RN. Which sucks, there's nothing I wouldn't give to be better and better able to work again!

Correction!!!

I'm not sure you want to take legal advice from a chat forum..  And this "Jasper" is incorrect.  It is actually the exact opposite!  Chapter 7 is 7 years and is when the debt is immediately discharged.  Chapter 13 is the length of time you've agreed to making payments with the trustee PLUS 7 years...  Careful what advice you base your decisions off of in life.. and be sure to get some actual legal advice from a bankruptcy attorney.  If you've filed bankruptcy I'm sure you can contact the attorney that handled your case and get more accurate information.

Bankruptcy

The credit bereaus will not remove the public record such as bankruptcy on their own, you need to request for it to be removed. According to what I've read is that the bankruptcy can be on the report for 7 to 10 years; however, you can request for it to be removed and they can actually remove it before that time. You must be agresive and send them your request.

Had to declare this because of failing health. This was longer than 7 yrs ago...where do I go to correct this??

Jasper2

You cannot "repair" a bancruptcy filing, regardless of your reasons for filing.  A chapter 7 takes 10 years from the date of filing.  It will fall off your credit report automaticially on the month of the 10 year anniversary.

student loan

If you live in the state of Nevada and recieved your student loan while living there you can declare the loan in chapter 7 bankrupcy only.