Question

yazminjazelle

I signed a lease when i was 17 should it show on my credit?
When I was 17 my dad got me an apartment. He made it clear to the management office that he would be paying the rent since i was 17 and had no job. He missed a payment and we went to court, the court decided we owed less money than management had determined so my dad paid but the management office didn't like that. ... They later claimed I owe them 1,400 for damages to a carpet... but I left no damages on any carpet... And they have no pictures since it was more than a year ago.. This was in 2010.

I always thought this should not be on my report for the simple fact that i signed the lease when i was 17.

You are confusing multiple things.

First, as a minor you cannot enter into a contract (in most states.)

Second, if you Dad paid then there is nothing to put on your credit. The judgement would show but only if the court entered the judgement against YOU, a minor. And if they did then maybe in your state you did have the ability to enter into a contract.

And third, the damage is a completely separate issue again. If you are still a minor the question still becomes, can a minor be sued? Shouldn't they be sueing your dad?

Personally, I think there is more to this story than you have told us. Perhaps you can restate everything keeping the issues separate, and give us a little more information.