Question

Mikewith4

I live in MS, but had a Kay's acct in AL. The acct was closed 2009, can I still be sued?
I got a call threatening to sue me for a Kay's account that was closed in 2009. They are threatening to show up at my job with court summons. They claim that if I don't settle now that they will obtain a judgment for 4 times the amount owed. They are also threatening leins on my vehicles, property, bank accounts, and taxes along with wage garnishments. I'm not sure about the statute of limitations or my legal rights.

Most Helpful Response

Such threats are a violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.  The threats they are making are not even possible.   If you have the information on who they are, nbotify your state attorney general.  If these idiots should call again, tell them your attorney wants to see their claim in writing so he can prepare a proper response to their suit.  That should shut them ujp real quick.

Any time someone calls, demanding some money, make sure you have them send the claim in writing.  That is your right under the law. 

In addition to what jwsister said, contact a consumer law attorney and sue them. Besides that, what jwsister said pretty much sums it up, it's illegal.