Question

johnnyjohnjohn

I have medical bills already sent to collection agency; should I settle the debt or pay in full?
3 years ago I had some medical bills that I could not pay totaling about $2,150, they were soon sent to a collection agency CMRE financial. On my credit report the 2 accounts are still open and show " CMRE in collections" not the medical provider and is hurting my score very bad.They stopped sending me notices more than a year ago and now I want to fix my credit so I got in contact with them to see my options In paying off the balance owed. They told me my balance actually went up to 2,600 with the interest it accumulated over the 3 years, and like every debt collector was pressuring me to pay in full at the moment. I told him I wanted my account info in writing which he was against saying they've already sent that info out last year.I told him I wanted to evaluate my options before making a payment , one of which I asked him about settling. He said if I was trying to fix my credit, settling would still leave a high negative impact on my credit. So I wanted to see if you guys can help me with honest information on which route i should take. Thanks in advance.

Unpaid Collection-Paid Collection-Settled Collection are all collections!!! They will be scored the same way!! It doesn't matter which status of collection you have, scoring-wise they are all the same BAD. The only time that a paid or settled collection is better is when your credit reports are under manual review and that seldom happens any more, usually a computer system will make a decision.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only thing that would truly help you is to get the collection COMPLETELY REMOVED from your reports. When possible that is done by a "Pay For Delete Agreement". Do some reading on that.