Question

bananafishing

How to rebuild after sudden 116 point drop on TU?
TU went from 747 to 631. I want to apply for a mortgage in a few months and am devastated by this change. The drop is likely due to two things, the first of which I was not aware was happening:

- My starter credit card and only card, which I've had for several years and is my oldest credit line, got sold to another bank. Instead of transferring the credit line, they closed the original line and opened a new one. So in one fell swoop, my credit line history got shortened and a new card was opened, without my signing or agreeing to anything.

- I applied for and received a second credit card. This was intentional and part of a long term plan to build my credit. I had no idea that the other line closing/opening was happening simultaneously, otherwise I would have waited. It's a great card and I was approved for a high limit, but I want a decent mortgage rate in the near future more than a nice credit card.

My question is: with low utilization and no other credit changes, how can I rebuild and what are the best ways for me to do that in my situation? I have no other derogatory marks or unpaid bills, the drop is solely due to credit lines opening/closing.

The fastest way to get your credit age back is to find someone with an extensive credit history to add you as an authorized user to their card.   This will give you instant history.   They don't even have to give you a card to use.   It can be anyone, it does not have to be family.   The only other thing you can do is properly manage your credit with timely payment and low utilization and time.   As you move forward, you should see monthly increases to your credit although, probably not at the level you want in the time frame you want.