Question

Posted in Saving Money

pnanny55

how to manage my credit to get it good.
im 59 years old and i would like to get my credit under control.i dont know what i owe . please help me so i can get things paid off.

Well, you first need to understand what you owe.  How do you not know what accounts you hold?  When was the last time you reviewed all of your credit reports from all 3 of the major credit reporting agencies?  If you're not routinely reviewing them then you definitely need to do so.  Once you have that information you can acutally begin your work.

Step 1: Get copies of all 3 CR's

Get free copies once a year at: AnnualCreditReport .com 

Step 2: Review all 3 copies, Highlight any accounts that you are not familiar with. 

Step 3: Write and mail "Validation Letters" to the Credit Bureaus for each account that you have concerns about.  (Google "Validation letter" for a template and more info) 

Step 4:  Spend time online on this website and others like it to educate yourself on what good credit is and how to manage it. I'm 56 years old and was crazy with debt and collections when i finally took the time to learn what I needed to do to get my credit under control. I found that it really isn't that difficult and that once you learn how to control whats happening on your credit report, You can really win at the "Credit Game".. and its just that "a game"

A great credit score isn't about how much you have, it's about how you manage it.