Question

jfriede

how to get items off my credit that are marked as closed
im trying to under stand why i have all off these paid and closed items still on my credit report. should those come off as soon as they are paid. is this making my credit score?

Reportable date for accounts has delinquency mark(s) or it's derogatory doesn't change whether it's been paid or not...

-

1. Account with delinquency mark, the mark itself can remain on your report for 7 1/2 year from when mark(s) happened. The account itself may remain.

-

2. Account with derogatory mark, the account can remain 7 1/2 year from the Date Of First Delinquency, usually its the last time you didn't pay that caused it to become derogatory account. In both cases, the Credit Bureaus usually will remove them in 7 years, if not bit sooner.

-

3. Account closed in good standings can last upto 10 years from when it was closed.

NEVER try to remove accounts that were closed in good standing as doing so would cause DAMAGE TO YOUR CREDIT.

deejaydeej

please explain how this can be harmful.

It would reduce the "average age of accounts" and possibly significantly depending on the ages of the remaining accounts. Accounts that have been paid off and closed in good standing also show a good history when your credit is under manual review. Please take some time to do some reading on all of this in addition to all credit topics, it will be very helpful to you.

deejaydeej

I have read all articles regarding this topic. I have an excellent credit rating, just unsure of this one. The account is closed in good standing and only open accounts are used in average lenth of history. It has been on my report for 12 years and I also have an open credit card with the same length of history. However, it is only slightly hurting my score because I have to many accounts - which does consider closed and open accounts. Good point for the manual review though, thanks.

Best thing you can doi for yourself is to learn about how credit works.  This understanding will greatly help you throughout your life and the information is provided in the articles here on Credit Karma. I advise reading them since this same information has sure hel'ped me!!