Question

RountMushmore

How to dispute ths derogitory account?
Less than 2 yrs. ago I was contacted about a bill originally I was told was from Rapid City, SD (I moved from SD in 2002 to CO) and have been at current address almost 6 yrs. in CO. Now bill says was from previous address here in Colorado Springs, CO that I left almost 6 yrs. ago. I had been contacted by Mountain Bell shortly after I moved to address and was offered to pay off account for about $100.00 and would not be asked for any more money. I made this payment. Unable to find receipt at this time. Now they want their money but took 4 years before reported acct. delinquent and recently reported to credit reporting, scores.

What kind of bill is it? Most negative debt (not all) can only be placed on your reports for seven years from the time of the original delinquency. Look up the "Statute of Limitations" to be sued for debt in each state, I am not sure which one you will go by, a little research should clear that up for you, but I would think that the SOL has probably expired in both states, meaning they could not win against you in court. You also may want to do some research on writing a "debt validation letter" to this company to see if they actually have proof of owning the debt. If a collection company is involved do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as there are many things that they are not allowed to do, and if the break one of the rules then you can sue them.