Question

KingNorm13

How to dispute a medical bill in collections and who to talk to about it.
I have a medical bill in collections. Who do I speak to about this problem, I am 26 years old and have never been to the emergency room for any reason. I have always had insurance since I started working when I was 17. It showed up on my credit about a month ago but the details of the collection says back in 2009. Its really confusing to me.

Most Helpful Response

Write letters to the collector and the bureaus, don't do your disputes online, that doesn't work worth a darn.  Plus you give up a lot of your rights when you dispute online.  Do it via US mail.

First file a dispute with the CRA

you can go to any of the Credit Reporting Agencies websites and file a dispute for free.  Just takes a few minutes.  The CRA will investigate the debt to verify that it is indeed yours.  Most lilely if the debt is yours it is probably a co-payment or charges not covered by your insurance.  (Most insurance DOES NOT cover 100% of your medical expenses.)  They will notify you weather they have verified the account usually with in 30 to 45 days.

If that doesn't clear it up, You can follow up with a "Validation letter"  (Google it for a template and instructions)  A Validation letter requires the Collection agency to provide original paperwork as well as verification that they did indeed go through proper billing and notification proceedures in trying to collect this debt.  If they can't they will have to remove it from your credit report.

Good Luck

EddyTX

Oh yes,  almost for got.  Do everything online or by mail.  Never try to talk to collections by phone.  They have a bad habit of not remembering anything they say on the phone. 

Hope this helps

Probably a reporting error.

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all wrong information with the credit bureau reporting same.  Best to do this in writing and keep copies of all correspondence from you and them until after this dispute is completely resolved.

Errors on credit reports are not uncommon, which is why we are advised to make the annual check of our reports to make sure only correct information is being reported.