Question

Foodie2013

How to clear up reported collections on your credit report
How do I go about finding out if a debit that is report on my credit report if really mine or if it’s report incorrectly.

Something is reported on my credit report that was open 05/07/2009; report date is 04/30/10 for $1000. I do not remember this as being one of my creditors, but I don’t want to open a can of worms if it is. If it was reported 04/30/2010 then it should be coming off my credit report around 04/2017 in 3yrs but if it is not my debit I would like it removed. What’s the best way to go about this? Is this a catch 22 situation?

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  They are free once a year.  Look these over very carefully and file disputes in writing over any errors with the credit bureau that is reporting the errors. If you don't know the account, it's likely an error.  The credit bureaus then have to investigate and either verify or delete the errors.