Question

TrentCredit

How long will it take for my credit score to improve after high credit utilization?
I purchased flights on my credit card last week (totaling about $520), and I only have a $1,000 credit limit. I was unaware of this thing called "Credit Card Utilization," where, apparently, the more you use your card (over 10-20%), the lower your credit score will be. My utilization was 52% this month, causing my score to plummet 34 points. I of course intend to pay off the balance in full (as I do every month), but my question is how long will it take for my credit score to recover? I should also add that I've never had a late payment before since I've opened my card about 6 years ago. Does that count for anything? I appreciate your responses, particularly from those who are credit experts or who have been in my situation before. I would also appreciate any advice you could provide. Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

Whenever your credit card company reports whatever you pay it down/off. Utilization has no memory and do not have lasting effect on your scores, it's whatever the balance you have on that account when it reports goes toward your scores.