Question

Kgpach

How long does it take for a bankruptcy chapter 7 to come off your credit

Best answer:

Under FCRA, in general terms, a bankruptcy is supposed to be removed at 10 years.  Collections are supposed to come off at 7 years unless a court judgement put them there, which falls under the 10 year catagory.  The credit bureays can remove these issues sooner if they wish, but will generally choose the 7/10 year limit.  You should contact the bureau(s) still reporting this information past the statutory limitation and ask that these entries be removed.  It can take up to 90 days to "show" on your bureau, but is generally 30 to 45 days.

Items like judgements and bankruptcies are not reported to the bureaus by the involved jurisdiction; rather, they are pro-actively sought out by the credit reporting agencies and reported.

bankruptcy chapter 7

It normally takes 10 years before your bankruptcy falls off your credit report

samson11658

Enter Your Reply  I'm on 11 years now and it's still on my credit report

Bankruptcy

My ex-husband and I filed bankruptcy in 2004. He has had no problems being denied credit (bought house bought 3 cars) but my bankruptcy is hindering me everytime I go to purchase anything WHY?

Random789644

It should have went away for certain in 2014 (for Chapter 7 bankruptcy). Contact the credit bureau and ask what's going on.

Ten years.

samson11658

Enter Your Reply I'm on 11 years now and it's still on

edubya90

We filed in '09 but I don't remember if it was chapter 7 or 13. I thought it was whichever was the lesser of the two evils and therefore it would drop off sooner. Needless to say, it still haunts me to this day. So are both 7 and 13 ten long years?

Random789644

edubya90 - no. A Chapter 13 only stays on for seven years (I filed Ch. 13 in 2017, and it just fell off my reports this month).

Bankruptcy

Its time for mine to come off and eas paid off 5 yrs ago. What do i need to do to get it off?

Manuel1234910

Call the credit burueus after 7 years.

whento appy for Chapter 7

when dp I appl for chapter 7 as Ihave may many medical bills

Random789644

Call up a few bankruptcy lawyers in your town - most give initial consultations for free. They can best help you decide which type to apply for, as well as if it makes sense for you to do so.

increse the score

How can I increase the score

If it has been 10 years since your discharged you can contact the credit card companies and file a dispute and provide proof that the ten year is up and they should take it off

Random789644

You contact the bureaus to file a dispute, but otherwise yes.

Which one is better bankruptcy or credit consolidation 

Random789644

Depends on your situation. A credit consolidation may end up costing more, and you may not be able to afford the payments. Most bankruptcy lawyers have initial free consultations, and an honest one will best help you figure out which option makes the most sense to you (and if it starts sounding like a sales pitch, find another lawyer.)

Bankruptcy Chap7

Takes 8 years to come off your report