Question

christina989

HOw long does a public record stay on your credit report? THe credit card took my last $ from bank.
HI. I have had a very confusing situation. I moved out of my parents years ago , so I guess mail was getting sent there and was just being discarded. Well anyway, I got a derogatory mark on my report, where apparently a credit card company had taken me to court, and I never showd up, (did not know about it, mail was going to my parents 4 hours away) ...and later on I noticed this on my report! not only thatm but they took out every dollar I had in the bank. now td bank wont even let me go back :( I honestly know that when you stop paying on a card that this is possible, but really all my money? I had went to a debt consolidation company only to find out it was false and they weren't even helping me, just stealing my money!!!! I was 24 yrs old, still in college. well I gave up and let all my bills go. out of frustration, thnking it would do no harm, well I was wrong! now how long is this derogatory mark be there? im so scared and upset they took every penny I had ,. please no criticism about PAY YOUR BILLS and this wont happen...what happened has happened and I am very nervous about my future.! thank you !any advice would be helpful. thanks

Most Helpful Response

Unpleasant lesson learned!!

That "school of hard knocks" is a tough one, isn't it?  No more consolidation companies for you because you can actually handle bills yourself now.  Believe it. 

It appears the credit card company went to court and obtained a judgement against you..  Since they did not know where to find you and all communications went unanswered, they hired "skip tracers" who managed to find out where you had a bank account and they seized all available funds.  Hopefully, that settled the account in full.  The judgement should disappear in 7 years if that was considered full settlement of the debt.

What you should seriously consider doing now and annually for the rest of you life is check all three credit reports once a year.  Go to annualcreditreport.com to get these and look them over very thoroughly.  If there is anything on there that is NOT yours, file disputes with the reporting credit bureau.  Check the footnotes on each account shown so you can see if any past debts are still up for collection and, if so, when are they due to fall off the credit report.  

This site provides articles and online tools to help people learn how to wisely manage credit.  I've found them helpful and am trained in accounting.  Your credit is not destroyed, only scuffed and bruised.  You can get it built up again and it won't take as long as you fear.  

christina989

thank you! i will do that. yes my kesson was learned, i cant even tell you how much money i wasted laying teh consolodation company who wasnt even real. it makes me sick. i couldve handled it myself, now i know that! thank you