Question

StormPetrel

How can one negotiate a 'pay per delete' to erase low amount mystery derogatories?
I have a few aging mystery derogatories totalling under $1,000.  I suspect where one came from, when Amazon issued me a credit card that I didn't want and instructed them to cancel and transfer any charges they posted to that card back to my card of record on my Amazon account.  I didn't follow up, but the date of the ~$600 charge corresponds to that date.  There are duplicate claims of about the same amount appearing on my record, one from Amazon, one from G.E. (apparently the firm handling the credit card for Amazon), and another from EOS CCA, apparently a collection firm in Massachusetts. 
Another is for under $200, ostensibly from AT&T, but I have been on a family plan with AT&T for years, and that gets paid automatically, with no payments in arrears. 
The only other derogatory is a medical payment from a walk in clinic that I paid as soon as I got the bill (I had moved), but apparently they reported it in collections before I received and paid the bill.
All of these are 3 years or more old, but I want to get them removed ASAP so that I can get a home equity loan to do some improvements.
A bank officer suggested that, given the low amounts, I should just pay them off and consider it the equivalent of paying to make repairs for vandalism. 
If one does negotiate directly with the buyer of the debt, how does one know that they will honor their word and delete the payment? 
Should I hire a lawyer to ensure that the derogatories are deleted? 
How do I find out the name of the medical clinic whose small (under $200) derogatory is still on my record, even though it is listed as paid?
Thank you for any recommendations or information you can provide.
P.S. If you know of a good legal firm for handling this sort of thing, I would appreciate a recommendation.