Question

ArcherGirl1215

How can I raise my credit score if all I have are student loans on my report?
I have nothing but student loans on my credit report, half of which are closed. I don't know why my score is so low when the open accounts are in good standing going back 4 years now. How can I raise my score without adding accounts like secured credit cards? I'd like to get up to at least the minimum required for an auto loan. I have some closed accounts showing missed payments from 2010 and 2011....can I have those removed without issues?

You will need to get credit cards if you want to get your scores going up. The basic credit building tools are three credit cards and one installment loan. FICO scoring systems usually boost your score just for getting a credit card, some folks even experience an automatic boost upon opening their second credit card. The results will vary though as everyone has different credit profiles. I advise you to do some reading on all of this. As far as the two accounts that you have showing missed payments, you may be able to get those missed payments removed. Missed/Late payments will be removed 7 years from the time that they happen, so you are at the 7 year mark now and close on the other one. There is also a thing called "Early Exclusion" when the credit bureaus will sometimes removes negatives slightly prior to the seven year mark, so you should do some reading on that as well.