Question

boingo17

how can i keep collection agencies from hurting my credit score?
I have a partner whom i own a rental unit with. We have a bank account that gets credited with rents and debited for expenses such as the HOA. He let the account go without my knowledge and now a collection agency for the HOA sent me a letter that I owe $3552. I'm in the middle of trying to refi my house and wondering how I can protect my score

Most Helpful Response

It's probably too late for your to undo the damage your partner caused. If you and your partner jointly hold the account, jointly own the property, and jointly owe the HOA fees, then each of you is essentially held hostage to the other person's goodwill and financial management skills. The only way out now is a long, slow one. Either you and your partner need to work together to get the debt paid off or you need to disentagle youself from the finances of this irresponsible person (by closing accounts, selling the property, etc.). In either case, the repercussions are going to reflect on your credit, probably for the next seven years. (NOTE: The people answering these questions are just your fellow CK users, not professional advisors. So you might want to get some legal advice. But generally, once you mingle your finances with another person and that person misbehaves, you're toast.)