Question

ConcernedMom1

How can I check my sons credit score?
My son is 3yrs old. Our insurance company had a breach and recommend that we monitor our credit. My husband and I already have accounts set up with Credit Karma. How can I check my 3yr old sons credit report?

Most Helpful Response

Under age 13...

The credit reporting companies do not knowingly keep credit files on children under 13. If you suspect someone is using your child's information illegally, you should:

• Contact all three credit reporting companies and report the situation.
  • File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  • File a complaint with the CFPB at   www. helpconsumerfinance .gov  (CK doesn't like web addresses so I've left spaces,  it is not a link, so you will have to type in the web address)

When you contact the credit reporting companies, provide the following information about the child:

• Legal name
  • Address
  • Birth date
  • A copy of the child's birth certificate
  • A copy of the child's Social Security card

And information about yourself:

• A copy of your driver's license or other government-issued identity card with your current address
  • A copy of a current utility bill

Make sure the driver's license and the utility bill have the same address.

You may also need to prove that you have legal custody of your child in cases where the credit reporting company has a legitimate need to obtain such proof.

Send the information to all three credit reporting companies: TransUnion, Equifax and Experian.