Question

SnScott12

how badly can an unpaid phone bill hurt your credit?
i switched phone companies at the end of august and apparently the assistant manager who did my whole order at the store misinformed me about the trade in and reimbursement program they offer. long story short they are not reimbursing me the full amount of the device payoff amount and i still owe verizon $250. i am currently in the process of moving and wont have the money to pay the rest of the money and verizon has told me if i dont pay within so many months i will be turned over to collections. will this hurt my credit badly? i currently have pretty good credit thanks to my car, but i will be looking for another house in a year and i know my credit will have to be used. please help!!!

Most Helpful Response

Been There

Verizon is viscous.  They will not relinquish.  They have their own collections department and they don't quit.  We had an account that was turned over to collections from something they signed us up for that we really didn't agree to.  It took us forever and many phone calls to get them to finally agree to close the account.  So if you owe them...... know that they will come after you.  It's best if you contact them and work something out.

Do what ever it takes to pay it off as quickly as you can, 
You DO Not Want any late payments,  ( but that damage may have already been done ) Late Payments are Not Good at all. 

You Really Do Not Want this Account to go to Collections,  Never Ever,

Either of these things happen could have a major impact on getting any home Loan. 

Been there with Verizon

Call them discuss your interaction with the sales person and your financial situation. Do not ignore the situation. Know what you can afford to pay before you call. They may give you a credit to help you or adjust your services to assure it remains active and you remain a customer. The main thing is talk to them and schedule a pay agreement to get your account up to date.

Yes I have an account with Sprint Trying to get it off my report.

andi

• I actually left verizon last year - same thing - i thought at&t was paying the full balance to change me over but they only paid a partial amount.  Verizon actually  gave me every opportunity to pay it - I set up a payment arrangement which i was unable to complete and just began sending them what i could - when i could - i tried to at least pay $50.00 per month total. My balance was 680.00 but they worked with me - it took me almost a year to finish it off but finally did it. 
  • Your second question was how much will it hurt your score if placed on your report.  It depends on your credit score- really weird but the higher my score - the more a late payment hurt me and the lower my score it did not move very much at all.
  • try to just keep paying something to them - to show good intent- try $25.00 biweekly until you can pay more.

Yes it will hurt badly.