Question

Pjay82

Given Wrong End Lease Termination Paperwork
So Two years ago, I rented an apartment with a gf at the time. Things didnt end well so we decided to break up and she keep the apartment. We went to the leasing office and stated she would be the only one on the lease and i would have my name removed. The leasing agent gave us paper work to sign and she signed herself which I still have. A month ago, I received a call from a collections agency stating I owed 2,000 in back rent. I explained the same situation as above. They in return told me, your ex started to fall behind on the rent payments, paying only when she could and moved out in august 2016. Apparently the leasing office never took me off the rental agreement. Even though the lease was up in februaty 2016 thay continued to do the lease as a pays ss you go, without consulting me to see if I even wanted to remain on the lease. I faxed the paperwork over to the collection agency and was told the Leasing agency disputes this paper and will not accept it. I dont know what to do, if I should get a lawer or what. What can I do if the paperwork that was given to me by the leasing agent and was signed by her to is not good enough what is my next move. Please any advice.

Best bet would be to run this by an attorney. Get all of your paperwork together. Usually, when you sign a lease, you are locked in until the lease expires, this is the purpose of a lease. It would be doubtful that the company would just let you take your name off of the lease, maybe they told you they would to avoid conflict but never did. I am not sure. However, the original lease that you signed was up in Feb, so you should not be on the hook for the time after that. So it does look like they are breaking the law and being pretty ignorant if they knew well prior to that that you were no longer there. See what a lawyer has to say and go from there.