Question

cleoppa

For the best credit score, should I pay off my student loan early?
I have been paying my student loan down, about double the minimum, for several years. Recently I started paying it down in very large chunks. I have done this primarily to save on interest (sometimes as much as $100 a month!). Currently I owe about $4000 and am ready to pay it off.

I currently have two credit cards, both of which are paid in full every month, a small bank loan (that does not report to credit agencies) and no other debt. I had a short sale on a house that adversely affected my credit.

I am trying to improve my credit score. I am wondering if it would be better to 1., just pay off the student loan or 2., pay it down to about $100 and leave it. I should get a small amount of interest, but it is my understanding that my credit score will continue to raise as they send my bills for $0 due.

Any thoughts?

Since your bank loan does not report to the CA, paying off your loan early will affect your credit.  It will take away the "Mix" of credit which is 10% of your score.  With that said, I would not pay interest for that little of a boost.  If you keep paying your credit cards on time and keeping your utilization low you will be fine.