Question

48oldman

Effect on credit score
CreditKarma recommends new credit cards for me that have 0% on balance transfers for 15-18 months. I would like to get one to transfer a high interest balance, but have always read that getting more cards will decrease my credit score. Is that true?

It's impossible to say what the net effect of the various factors would be.  You'll incur a hit from the hard pul, you'll reduce your AAoA.  You may improve utilization if the limit on the new card has a significant enough credit limit.  However, there are still other factors at play.

Not necessarily.

I had only 3 credit cards that had high interest (nearly 20%) and low limits.(1500 or less).  I finally took the plunge tok consolidate and that card had a lower interest rate plus a much higher credit limit. That increased my available credit and reduced my usage, resulting in an increase in my credit score.  Having a fairly high amount of credit plus reduced usage only improves your score, generally.  Of course it does reduce the 'age of accounts' a bit which could cause a dip, but that didn't hurt me.  It's a choice only you can make for yourself.