Question

juba0988

Do medical bills go against your credit?

Most Helpful Response

before they go to collections NO- they wont even appear.

AFTER they go to collections- then YES they will appear, and since they were as a result of a a failure to pay, they are a NEGATIVE and WILL HURT YOU SCORE.

TANYIACM10

WELL ME BEING YOUNG, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT BUT ONCE IT REACHES THERE IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF REDEEMING YOURSELF AND YOUR SCORE??

turquoise25

@TANYIACM10: Pay the creditor, and ask them to remove it from your report OR mark as PAID IN FULL.

wjz5003

It is state specific I live in MA and med bills dont go on your credit report I know this because I had at least a dozen bills I didnt pay when I didnt have insurance zero are on my credit. So check your states guidlines! Democractic states can sometimes understand that sometimes people need emergency care and the hospitals and Drs are forced to write it off but they make their money 

vlizzle6

Enter Your Reply WJZ5003 You are INCORRECT.  I live in MA and I owe over $5,000 in medical bills and it is on my credit reports and it has drastically dropped my credit score.

all you have to do is call them, tell them all you can afford is $5.00 a month, and they have to accept payment!  This will not affect you negatively, since you are making the attempt to pay.

grapevine44

Enter Your Reply

You cannot not just pay any amount, ThHe Doctor or hospital will send the bill to an agancy and they will report it.

NCNEM

I was told this by my mother-in-law as well. Unfortunately it did not work. The hospital had agreed to arrange a payment plan for up to 18 months only, which meant I had to pay no less than $100 a month. I stopped paying the hospital my $100 a month and sent $10 instead. I quickly recieved a phone call letting me know my account  was going to be immediately sent to collections since I did not pay the agreed amount. I explained I paid $10 and they were not able to turn me in as long as I sent in something. She said that was bolgna. That I would have already been sent to collections if I hadn't had an agreement set up. They can send me to collections whenever they want to since the service was past 120 days.

retroracer

to the person below, they did that because you agreed to the 100 dollar amount. Of course you can't agree to send them 100 and then randomly just start sending them 10. 

Even though it does effect your score and does ding your perfect credit, they are still seperated as medical credit and a lot of companies won't hold that against you.  Mortgages might, credit cards... not so much. 

vlizzle6

Enter Your Reply NOT True.  I owe over $5,000 in medical debt and it has dramatically reduced my credit score.

@juba0988: Best advice: if you've bills you cannot pay, please, PLEASE talk to the doctor or whomever the medical bills are from. Tell them you will pay $X amount each month, AND MAKE GOOD ON THAT. Do NOT miss a payment. DO keep up with payments, and call them ever so often to check your balance and make sure they're receiving your payments.

*Source: Experience!

What if you were making the payments arranged on time and it went to credit report anyways? Can it be removed?

turquoise25

@phatgear: Contact the creditor and see why it went to your credit report if you were paying it on time.

Medical bills and student loans

I always thought that medical bills were not suppose to be counted against you? Also, I have student loans, but my repayment does not begin til after graduation ( in about 8 mths) but they are still on my report? I have a low score even though I paid off a bunch of my accounts?? Most of mine are medical, that has went into collections. I'm not sure what to do? I would like to be able to get a house someday soon...Any advice? Thank you. P.S. I work part time and it is hard to pay on everything with what I have coming in, Also I have no health insurance, even though, I've applied for the obama affordable care act.

It is state specific in MA they dont go on your credit I know because if they did Id have a dozen on my report and I have zero. it depends on state guidelines 

vlizzle6

I live in MA and yes they DO go on your credit report.  I owe over $5,000 in medical bills and it has dramatically reduced my credit score.