Question

juba0988

Do medical bills go against your credit?

Most Helpful Response

Medical Bill Coming Off My Credit

I have an almost 16,000 dollar medical bill thats been in collections for the past 2 years. I've been making payments, and now have heard from the hospital that they are going to lower the balance so that I can pay off the remainding amount. Everything on my credit repot that effects me negatively is purely medical. Now that I have this in writing from the hospital, and am going to pay off the balance, what kind of credit impact will be had on my scores?

Thanks!

Brnigilrl78

I'd love to know how you got them to be removed. I all of a sudden have collections on credit from service date of 04. That theybad billed correctly and said that I didn't have to pay anything per EOB.

sahelio

It is very important that you find a credit repair company even before deciding to pay. Many hospitals have bad accounting records. I had Creditmergency remove almost 11k in medical bills last year. 

If your in FL you can easily dispute any medical bills on your credit report and they will be removed its funny how you go to a non profit emergency room but yet they wanna send your bills to collections.

rabidultra

Non profit does not mean free. 

Thee are expenses and the employees need their paychecks just as you do. the only difference between for profit and non profit is that the revenues for nonprofits must nbe reinvested into the organization not paid out to owners.

Brnigilrl78

How do you do that I have 2 current and one that we had agreed to lower balance bc of insurance billing done wrong. Now I have one that current from 04. The debt had been sold over 14 times in 12 years. It's ridiculous. I disputes it in 8/16 but they still haven't finished their investigation of said bill. Thank you for any advice you could give.

Dispute medical bills

Technically by law, medical bills cannot show as negative on your credit report. Call the credit reporting agency and tell them this. They will delete it. Also, if you have collection companies (companies that bought your delinquent account) you can also dispute this. Because you don't "technically" owe money to them, they have to show proof you owe that money to their company. They have 30 days to show proof (sometimes they can ask for more time of up to 45 days) to prove you owe them or have to take it off your credit.

hethret

Should I just ask for an itemized bill from them and if they can't' produce it, then I don't have to pay. Some of these are from a decade ago and I feel like they have been sold so many times, there is no way the original bills is there. 

before they go to collections NO- they wont even appear.

AFTER they go to collections- then YES they will appear, and since they were as a result of a a failure to pay, they are a NEGATIVE and WILL HURT YOU SCORE.

TANYIACM10

WELL ME BEING YOUNG, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT BUT ONCE IT REACHES THERE IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF REDEEMING YOURSELF AND YOUR SCORE??

turquoise25

@TANYIACM10: Pay the creditor, and ask them to remove it from your report OR mark as PAID IN FULL.

wjz5003

It is state specific I live in MA and med bills dont go on your credit report I know this because I had at least a dozen bills I didnt pay when I didnt have insurance zero are on my credit. So check your states guidlines! Democractic states can sometimes understand that sometimes people need emergency care and the hospitals and Drs are forced to write it off but they make their money 

vlizzle6

Enter Your Reply WJZ5003 You are INCORRECT.  I live in MA and I owe over $5,000 in medical bills and it is on my credit reports and it has drastically dropped my credit score.

Even though it does effect your score and does ding your perfect credit, they are still seperated as medical credit and a lot of companies won't hold that against you.  Mortgages might, credit cards... not so much. 

vlizzle6

Enter Your Reply NOT True.  I owe over $5,000 in medical debt and it has dramatically reduced my credit score.

@juba0988: Best advice: if you've bills you cannot pay, please, PLEASE talk to the doctor or whomever the medical bills are from. Tell them you will pay $X amount each month, AND MAKE GOOD ON THAT. Do NOT miss a payment. DO keep up with payments, and call them ever so often to check your balance and make sure they're receiving your payments.

*Source: Experience!

What if you were making the payments arranged on time and it went to credit report anyways? Can it be removed?

turquoise25

@phatgear: Contact the creditor and see why it went to your credit report if you were paying it on time.

all you have to do is call them, tell them all you can afford is $5.00 a month, and they have to accept payment!  This will not affect you negatively, since you are making the attempt to pay.

grapevine44

Enter Your Reply

You cannot not just pay any amount, ThHe Doctor or hospital will send the bill to an agancy and they will report it.

NCNEM

I was told this by my mother-in-law as well. Unfortunately it did not work. The hospital had agreed to arrange a payment plan for up to 18 months only, which meant I had to pay no less than $100 a month. I stopped paying the hospital my $100 a month and sent $10 instead. I quickly recieved a phone call letting me know my account  was going to be immediately sent to collections since I did not pay the agreed amount. I explained I paid $10 and they were not able to turn me in as long as I sent in something. She said that was bolgna. That I would have already been sent to collections if I hadn't had an agreement set up. They can send me to collections whenever they want to since the service was past 120 days.

retroracer

to the person below, they did that because you agreed to the 100 dollar amount. Of course you can't agree to send them 100 and then randomly just start sending them 10. 

It is state specific in MA they dont go on your credit I know because if they did Id have a dozen on my report and I have zero. it depends on state guidelines 

vlizzle6

I live in MA and yes they DO go on your credit report.  I owe over $5,000 in medical bills and it has dramatically reduced my credit score.

Some, not all

Not all medical bills get reported on your credit report. It depends on the institution. Some just will sue you if they think you have the funds, I was telling someone else on a similar post that Creditmergency removed about 11k of my bills because hospitals and medical places sometimes have bad accounting records