Question

juba0988

Do medical bills go against your credit?

Most Helpful Response

before they go to collections NO- they wont even appear.

AFTER they go to collections- then YES they will appear, and since they were as a result of a a failure to pay, they are a NEGATIVE and WILL HURT YOU SCORE.

turquoise25

@TANYIACM10: Pay the creditor, and ask them to remove it from your report OR mark as PAID IN FULL.

TANYIACM10

WELL ME BEING YOUNG, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT BUT ONCE IT REACHES THERE IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF REDEEMING YOURSELF AND YOUR SCORE??

all you have to do is call them, tell them all you can afford is $5.00 a month, and they have to accept payment!  This will not affect you negatively, since you are making the attempt to pay.

grapevine44

Enter Your Reply

You cannot not just pay any amount, ThHe Doctor or hospital will send the bill to an agancy and they will report it.

@juba0988: Best advice: if you've bills you cannot pay, please, PLEASE talk to the doctor or whomever the medical bills are from. Tell them you will pay $X amount each month, AND MAKE GOOD ON THAT. Do NOT miss a payment. DO keep up with payments, and call them ever so often to check your balance and make sure they're receiving your payments.

*Source: Experience!

Even though it does effect your score and does ding your perfect credit, they are still seperated as medical credit and a lot of companies won't hold that against you.  Mortgages might, credit cards... not so much. 

What if you were making the payments arranged on time and it went to credit report anyways? Can it be removed?

turquoise25

@phatgear: Contact the creditor and see why it went to your credit report if you were paying it on time.

Medical bills and student loans

I always thought that medical bills were not suppose to be counted against you? Also, I have student loans, but my repayment does not begin til after graduation ( in about 8 mths) but they are still on my report? I have a low score even though I paid off a bunch of my accounts?? Most of mine are medical, that has went into collections. I'm not sure what to do? I would like to be able to get a house someday soon...Any advice? Thank you. P.S. I work part time and it is hard to pay on everything with what I have coming in, Also I have no health insurance, even though, I've applied for the obama affordable care act.