Question

afrey07

Disputing a collections account with Credit Bureau
I disputed an account in collections from 2006 with the collections agency and they told me over the phone it was removed. However they also said I had to dispute it with the credit bureaus myself in order to get it removed from my credit. I am trying to get some advice on how to get the credit bureau to remove this account in collections from my credit report.

Most Helpful Response

Get your credit reports.

Go to freeannualreport.com and order your credit reports from all 3 credit bureaus.  Go over them and dispute the erroneous items with the bureaus reporting same.  They have to investigate and verify or remove the item.

When doing any financial items, make sure you do it in writing and receive a repy in writing.  Only written documents hold up under legal scrutiny.

afrey07

Thank you for your answer!  I know that I have to have my report and dispute errors with the 3 credit bureaus.  I just don't know how to do so.  Where do I start with the process?  I tried to call and you can't talk to anyone or leave a message.  It just gives you an address to send a letter to.  I just worry that I won't hear back.  If I write a letter to the credit bureau and don't hear back, what do I do from there since I can't call anyone to follow up on the letter?