Question

onlymetoblame

Debt collector threatening court when original creditor says I owe nothing
I have 3 medical bills from August 2011 from same hospital totaling $3, 957.19. Two were put into collections in November 2011 & the third one in December 2011.
The debt collector has left me alone for years and now all of a sudden is giving me 14 days to pay in full or they're going to recommend to the original creditor to seek litigation. I had gone onto my hospital account online and have noticed that my amount due for all 3 bills is $00.00
I'm assuming they did a tax write off and that's why they're "paid off" as I have never paid this debt. I live in WI and the statute of limitations for debt is 6 yrs which is coming up. Can I be sued by the debt collector I no longer owe the creditor? How do I get them to stop reporting monthly and can I have this removed from an open collection if it says I no longer owe the creditor? Plz help with any advice! Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Send them a letter demanding validation of the debt.  They know what to send, so you don't have to tell them, but for your information, you need to receive copies of the original payment agreement that shows your signature and copies of the,itemized bills..  Generally, they can't do that, so can't collect.  .