Question

Bedgeezus

Credit Score Simulator experience?
I'm working on raising my credit score after going through a divorce. I have one store card that I haven't used in about 9 years but is still open. I used the simulator to see what would happen if I closed the card. It reported that my score would go from 621 to 634. It also had a note saying that it looks like something went wrong and that your score going up isn't what normally happens and that I should check back again. I've checked it a couple times over the past couple months and it always gives the same answer. Anyone else have this happen? I'm wondering if I close it will it really raise my score or maybe I should start using it again just to have recent good activity.

Closing a credit card causes a score to drop.  You need to show an increasing amount of available credit for your score to raise and just one credit card isn't going to do that.  Please re-read the articles on this site [so you can better understand what needs to be done. 

Don't close the card and don't put faith in a non-fico simulator. If you only have one credit card, that is not enough to build credit. Three credit cards and one installment loan that are reported to all three credit bureaus are the basic credit building tools. Take the time to read all that you can about credit, there is a lot of info on this site and across the internet. Be sure to check you FICO scores too from time to time, most lenders use a version of them.