Question

mslater7

Credit cards with no balance being closed by creditors killing my credit score
About a year ago my credit score was was in the mid 700's. Around that time I purchased a classic car, and the best rate was through my credit union on a fixed rate credit card. I ended up putting almost $30k on a credit card with only a $30k limit. A few months later i get a letter from a credit card company telling me that they are closing my account, and the reason they list is credit utilization on a card is too high. Month after month, I continue to get letters informing me that other creditors are doing the same thing. At the time of purchasing the vehicle, I had a significant amount of available revolving credit, today my credit report is showing 77% utilization which is true, however is only true because of these other creditors closing or significantly reducing my available credit. As a result my available credit utilization went from under 20% to almost 80%, and the average age of my open lines of credit is now only 3 years. The average age of my credit is a result of some of the credit cards I've had open since I was 18 years old being closed. Here is my problem I have a perfect payment history, only 1 inquiry in the last 24 months, everything else looks great on my credit report except for the credit utilization, but my score went from mid 700's to somewhere around 600. My wife and I want to purchase a new house, but with a score that low, we will never be able to get a loan. Looking for advice, I don't know what to do.

Start by checking your FICO scores, you will need to purchase them, but it is worth it to know where you actually stand. FICO does factor in closed accounts to the "average age of accounts".