Question

abbz

Closed an account I shouldn't have! What now?
I messed up and closed an account I hadn't used in years, unfortunately it was my longest running line of credit! Closing the account dropped my score by almost 30 points, and now it shows my length of credit history as 3y 6m instead of 10years. Is there anything I can do to reopen that same card and get my history back? TIA!

Call the account issuer. If they can't reopen that account, then perhaps you can open a new account and they can backdate your relation to the company.

Be careful where you get your information, Credit Karma is a great tool to see what is on your reports, but do not go by what their system tells you. The system used here and the scores generated here are not used by any lenders that I am aware of.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The real story: When you close an account in positive standing it will remain on your credit reports for a period of 10 years, sometimes longer if you are lucky. The closed account WILL still factor into the average age of your accounts. You will only see account age damage from closing this account at least 10 years from now or longer (which by that time your other accounts will have aged significantly and damage will be nonexistent or limited) The reason that your score dropped is because you closed on of your positive tradelines.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only exception that I can see here is if the creditor got angry that you closed your account and they pulled the account from the credit bureaus. Pull your reports directly from the credit bureaus and see what they say. If the creditor did pull the account from your reports (I doubt they did) then you could call them an ask to reopen your account.