Question

BumtasticBonVoyage

Can someone explain being pre-qualified going into a car dealer?
So I'm sitting here and I've decided to buy a car from a dealer. My credit score is 700+. Whats my next move? What do i say to a car salesman? How do i get pre-qualified for an auto loan? Is it an auto loan? Where can I get pre-qualified? How do I use this as leverage? Can someone please explain this to me step by step please?

First of all, do you have a down payment? Have you selected a vehicle yet?

I haven't just yet but I've seen people saying things like "i went in pre-qualified and forced them to give me a better deal" "i had a copy of my credit score so they didnt have to run it." This will be my first time buying a car in my name and i want to do it right. 

The interest rate with an auto loan from a credit union or your banking institution will most likely be less than a loan at a dealership. The percentage can drop a bit depending if you have an automatic draft or payment from your account. There are differences between pre-qualified, pre-approved, and approved.

I'm not a fan of auto loans because the interest is not deductible. Any interest you pay is wasted money whether it's a credit card or loan. Only mortgage interest is deductible on your federal tax returns.