Question

chicagodouglas

Can I get a credit card with a small paid collection on my account?
I would like to apply for a credit card from Chase or American Express but I'm not sure if I'm ready for it with my current scores and report. I have two accounts, a capital one platinum card with a credit limit of 750 opened in january of 2015 and a capital one quicksilver card with a credit limit of 2000 opened in August of 2015. I have never missed a payment on either card and my utilization is currently at 3%, so I keep low balances. I have a small collection ($50 utility bill) that is paid in full shortly after the account was sent to collections. It has been deleted from transunion but still on the others.
My scores are reporting as 720 with transunion and 695/696 between equifax and experian.

Any advice on weather or not I should proceed?

Go for it. I see people with 650s getting a chase card. Just make sure you haven't had 5 hard inquiries on your report. Chase only allows 4-5 hard inquires for 24 months. If they see more, it will be decline. Before I apply, I would write an letter/email/call the utility company and ask if they could remove the collection. Give them a story like you're trying to buy a house and this is hurting you. Good Luck!