Question

ejbmvp

Can an old creditor who charged off a debt over 7 years ago pull my credit report w/o my permission?
Today I received a notice from creditkarma alerting me someone pulled my credit report as a hard inquiry. I called the number listed and I talked to their collections dept. They told me they pulled it because they were investigating their old accounts and they pulled mine to see if this was on my credit report. They told me it was last active in 2001 (15 yrs ago). I was not aware of this account having a balance due, I never received a call or notification, and it is not showing on my credit report. I feel as though they don't have the right to pull my report.

Most Helpful Response

They Don't

No, Legally they can't check your credit with out your permission. They need your signature to do it.  You can write a letter requesting that the hard inquiry be removed from your credit report.  State that you did not authorize a credit inquiry and that you are not doing business with this company. 

Many time this will happen when they want to do business with you again and want to know what your credit status is now. 

Good Luck