Question

kelticladi

Buy outright or store credit?
I am trying to build my credit file, at the moment it is very thin with only 4 accounts listed and 3 of them are closed (in good standing.) I need a new couch and have 2 options of the way to go. Either I can buy one outright which is ok but not exactly what I want, or I can spend a little more, get the one I really like and do it with store credit. Given I am trying to build my score, which is the better way to go?

Most Helpful Response

if you shop at the store ever few months then a store card but to get a store card for a one time purchase on a card you will probably never use again DON'T do it.... According to the info you provided you only have 1 open credit line you need a minimum of 2 to maximize score...Do you have a credit card? if not get one i'd reccomend Capital one's Quicksilver One Mastercard 1.5% cashback on all purchases unlimited cashback rewards and while it comes with a $39 annual fee as long as you spend $2600 per year on it the cashback will pay for the annual fee...just remember pay the bill when it comes in and keep utilization below 20% this may require multiple payments a month depending on credit line but worth it for a 30point boost in credit score minimum within 6 months