Question

NewInCredit

built credit with 2 or 1
I am new in country, so i need to built credit.

I have CapitalOne Card with $200 prepaid.
Yesterday I recieved by mail a Citibank card wainting to activate, (prepaid also)

For building credit is better both cards or only one?

Appreciate

Most Helpful Response

Prepaid cards won't help build credit

Hi there! My understanding is that you want to build you credit and that you have the option to open 2 prepaid cards. Firstly, prepaid cards are not credit cards and will not help you build credit. No credit checks and no credit reporting apply to this type of card. It basically serves as a debit card so you don't have to carry around cash everywhere you go. 

Second, if you want to build credit, you'lll need to open a credit card. If you have cash but no credit, consider opening a Secured Credit Card. You can open one with as little as $200. The CapitalOne Secured Mastercard is the one I opened and I've had no complaints. This card reports to the major 3 credit bureaus and as long as you use it responsibily (don't exceed an average of 20% utilization), your credit score will definitely improve over time. Over time, you can request to increase these credit limits as your credit score improves. My own credit limit on the CapitalOne card increased from $500 to $1,000 after 3 months. 

Excellent answer LoanWranger! I couldn't have said it better.