Question

KelseyAlex

Boosting my credit score
I am a 24 year old single mother. My credit score is currently 660-Transunion and 647-Equifax. I am seeking ways to boost my credit score to 750+ within 12 months.
I currently have 2 credit cards but only one has a balance. That balance is at 0.05% of my credit limit for that card. I also have one auto loan and one personal loan. I NEVER miss a payment or pay late. I always pay early and always pay more than the minimum for all accounts. The only bill issue I have ever faced is with medical bills. I currently have 1 medical bill in collections. My local hospital does not allow payment plans and only allows 3 months to pay off an account. Paying off a balance that is over $1000 in 3 months is just not possible for me. I will also accrue 4-5 new medical bills within the next two months due to unforeseen medical issues I am facing. I am going to try with my utmost power to not let these go to collections. However, if they do, how badly does a medical bill affect ones credit score??
Also, what are some tips, beyond what I am already doing, to boost my credit score?
Thanks in advanced!

First, let me congratulate you on your work to improve your credit. Now to address a couple of things, there are different kinds of credit scores, so when you are attempting to get a 750, you must have a scoring sytem in mind. The scores that you get here are Vantage scores, but most lenders use a version of FICO scores and there are many different versions. Be sure that you are aware of all these different scores available. The bad news here is that a collection is a collection, whether it's a medical or not. Have you checked for any charity programs in your area that help low income people with medical bills? I would put some serious time into looking for something like this. As far as what you are doing with your credit, you are doing great by making all of your non-medical payments on time. The thing that you need to focus on now is how to deal with the medical bills.

I forgot to add, when the time comes for you to be able to pay the collection on your report, read about "pay for delete agreements". You might be best to apply your money now though to current medical bills to prevent more collections if possible.