Blue Cross Blue Shield Security Breach
What can I do to protect my credit/personal identity due to this major security breach? It is difficult to sit and wait for Anthem to respond while theft can be occurring as I write this.

Most Helpful Response

The List

First of all I think it would be a good idea to change your password and security questions on the Anthem site. 

Second, go online to Experian and place a free 90 day fraud alert on your credit. Experian will contact the other two credit reporting sites, Trans Union and Equifax, for you.

Third, sign up or register on the free Credit Sesame website. You can sign up for free credit monitoring.  I just opened a new credit card a week ago, and placing the fraud alert on Experian triggered an alert on Credit Sesame that someone (the legitimate card issuer in this case), had placed an inquiry on my credit.

If Anthem offers free credit monitoring, tell them you want it for life!  Someone having your social security number and other information has the potential for problems down the road. The hackers probably won't use the ill gotten information immediately, but will hold onto it for future use or even sell it.

breach tips

I work as a customer service rep for a major credit card company...If someone is concerned about identity theft, not just someone taking their card/acct number (then you can just do a lost/stolen process and get a new card/acct number) but having their social and dob and opening new accts, we recommend doing these two things:

1. Set up a password on your acct. Call in to your cards and ask them to set up a password, we have a box of notes that comes up next to your dob, ss# and mothers maiden name when you call in and will have to also verify the password to continue. People who do not know the password get sent to security, and security would write down the phone number they called in on, etc. and keep records of what they were trying to attempt.

2. Set up credit monitoring with the 3 credit bureaus. They will let you know if any accounts attempt to be created in your name, etc. so that way it can be tracked and stopped ASAP.

I also like the suggestion the other poster made, too, to change your password and security questions. I had a caller one time who's wifi had been hacked, and they carefully took down all of her username and password information as she went through her day-to-day activities checking her bank accounts, etc., then continued to log in to them and change all of her security questions and EVERYTHING so that even when she called in to those companies, she couldn't properly verify the informaiton on her own accounts. That is a true horror story, and should be avoided at all costs.

Play it safe!!!!!