Question

TsarChasm

Advice needed on medical collection in regards to credit report
In 2013 I made a trip to the ER and as admitted for 3 days. While there I filled out paperwork for financial assistance and was approved. I was told that they would clear my account after a small co-payment ($200). I made the co-payment and went on my way. Subsequently, a collection for $865 was placed on my credit report in early 2014. I disputed the account and my credit reports reflect this.

I am hoping to buy a house soon and this is the only blemish on my credit report. As a result, I contacted the agency (by phone and email) and requested a pay for deletion, even though I still have an issue with the validity of the debt. This is the reply I received:

"Call us so we can assist. We don't work as a pay for deletion business. We would submit the deletion request as a courtesy for you. You need to allow all 3 credit bureaus 30 to 60 days to update your credit file. We do the request sir, they do the actual removal. You also need to submit a non dispute letter into us as we have this account marked as a dispute."

So my question is whether or not this is a good idea. I don't want to relinquish my right to having the dispute on the reports if it's not going to be removed. I was also under the impression that agencies could remove collection accounts if they so chose.

Your thought and comments are greatly appreciated.

Anyone?