Question

StephN

A collection agency said a debt was posted to my credit report yesterday?
Someone else was suppose to pay off an energy bill that was sent to collections. I was notified in October 2014 to pay the collection agency before it went to my credit report. I was under the assumption that it was handled however, I got a call today saying that it hadn't been paid and it went to my credit report yesterday 12/04/14. I paid the debt of $225. Was that a scare tactic to get it paid by the collection agency, or did it really go to my credit report. My credit scores haven't changed yet? How long does an agency try to collect a debt before it shows on credit report? How concerned should I be, i'm not purchasing a car or house.

Debt collectors lie all the time.  The account will show up on your credit report as soon as it goes to a collection company, so they were probably scamming you.