Question

Tracy212

7 Years SOL has come and Gone But New Open Dates Are Posted
The statue of limitations in my state is 7 years. However, there are 4 collection items on my report that are years beyond the 7 years in which these accounts should have been removedfrom my report. However, the collection agencies keep resubmitting the items with current open dates. Ex. I received an Experian and Transunion credit report about 6 years ago. One (I can't remember which) gave the approximate date the items would no longer appear on my credit reports. When I look at my Transunion report today, each of these accounts are showing open dates that coincide with the dates when these accounts should have been removed from my credit report. Also, on the letters being sent to my home they state the SOL has run out and they can't sue me. Letters are from predatory collection agencies and not original creditors who have written off the debt.

So my question is, is it legal for these collection agencies to keep changing the account open date so these items remain on my credit report?

Hi

Sure doesn't sound legal. I would dispute the items with each credit bureau they are appearing on and if that doesn't work, look for a lawyer and sue the agencies doing this. A call to your state's attorney general may be in order as well.