Question

romeo313

Should I pay this collection agency to remove my account?
I called the collection agency and asked to pay for removal of my account. I also asked for this in writing. They gave me the following email: "As a matter of process, when we cease to act in the capacity of a data furnisher, the request is submitted to close,
which in essence removes the previously reported information."

Keep that email and goi ahead and pay the collector because that does sound like a 'pay for delete' agreement to me.

Most Helpful Response

I wouldnt just yet.... It sounds to vague and doesnt actually say they're going to delete from all 3 bureaus. It says that they request the account to be closed and in ESSENCE the PREVIOUS account information is removed (not deleted). They didnt say they would delete but request the account is closed. I would make sure to have a CLEAR, to the point email or letter stating the will in fact delete from the credit reporting agencies upon payment. I think it sounds like they are trying to tell you what you want to hear for you to pay, without actually having to do it. Plus it doesnt say anything about them not reporting new account information to the bureaus, like a "paid" or "settled for less than balance owed"