Question

hrr002

How to pay off collections
I have two accounts in collections. The only problem is that I have no clue what they are for!! How can I pay off/ dispute if I have no way of contacting them? Does anyone know how to find this information out? I need to raise my credit score because we are hoping to buy a home soon...

Most Helpful Response

In addition to the other commenter's post, if the dispute through the credit bureaus does not get them removed, on your credit report (annualcreditreport.com to get all 3 for free) it will give a name, address, and sometimes a phone number of the collection agency. If you need to deal with them and it turns out they provide you with documentation and you then recall that the debt is legitimate, you need to offer to pay the amount off in full, if and only if they remove the report from your credit score. They make this arrangement frequently. Get them to agree to that and get the agreement in writing. However, hopefully you can get them removed by disputing it through the credit bureaus and do not have to resort to that.

Dispute such unknowns!!

Look to the left on this page and find "Resources."  Then Click on "Articles" and scroll through to find an article on filing a dispute.  Follow those instructions.

And put "Check my credit reports" on your calendar to be done every year at about the same time.  Only you can make sure your credit reports are accurate.