Question

aallen0818

How to pay a non-account holder collection agency with pay and delete?
I am trying to clean up my credit & owe several small medical bills. One of them was for lab work. I received a settlement offer in the mail from a collection agency offering me to pay about 80% of the total.

I called because I wanted to pursue a "pay and delete" option. From what I've read, the payment must go to whatever agency holds the account. When I called the collection agency and spoke to the guy he said "we don't actually hold the account, we just try to recover on it" and tried to get me to go ahead and pay the negotiated settlement. I told him I didn't mind paying the full amount (it was only a difference of about $40), but that I want it to be deleted from my credit and not shown as something that went into collections and then paid.

I went ahead and sent a "debt verification" letter to them today via certified mail. Should I even pay to someone who doesn't hold the debt? Is there anything else I should do at this point? What should I do if they validate the debt as valid but I still can't figure out who holds it? Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated!

I think that you have been making all the right moves and it appears that you have done some studying on all of this, so I congratulate you for taking the time for important matters as this, many people on here don't. This debt collection company may just be contracted by the medical provider to do recovery work. I guess wait and see what happens with the debt validation letter and if it doesn't work out in your favor, you could try to contact the medical provider and see if they would do a pay for delete, which is possible if they still do own the account as the debt collector is telling you. Who knows though, maybe the debt validation would work out in your favor, if they can't verify it, then dispute it and maybe it will go away, but of course it may reappear later.