Question

Bellibone4u

Debt 5yrs old, (not on CR) sent to collection agcy but still owned by cable company, who do I pay?
I have old cable bill from 2009 that I recently got a collection letter about. The collection agency said they don't own the debt and cannot negotiate settlement. This is not currently on my credit report and I don't want it to end up there so do I pay the CA in full or go directly to Time Warner Cable, try to get settlement offer or pay them in full if no offer is available?

Most Helpful Response

Call the cable company

Since the collection agency doesn't "own" the debt, you should call Time Warner first to find out if you can clear up the debt with them directly. Especially since it isn't on you CR yet, you still have a good  chance to get that cleared before you have to wait 7 years to get it off your CR.

Your best bet, make a phone call to Time Warner first. If they won't take the money, then all you have left is to pay the collection agency.

P.S. Sometimes the collection agency that does end up taking over the debt will give you 30 days to pay it off before they submit it to the credit agencies. They normally call you first to try to make that deal and get full payment right away.