Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

Credit One Bank

Cardholder (375 Reviews)

How Credit Karma Can Help

Thinking about applying? Credit Karma can estimate your Approval Odds based on your credit profile. Get your information for free and get started.
  • Credit Scores
  • Credit Reports
  • Personalized Offers

It is what it is

I got this card about 16months ago when my fico was about 530, got approved for 300, then 450, then 600 now 750.  Yes they charge u 22.95 for every increase, yes they charge their annual fee in annoying monthly payments of 8.25 probably hoping u miss a payment so they can hit u with the late fee.  My score is now 594 just got approved for cap one quicksilver for 300.  This card is about rebuilding credit ive never dealt with the cust service, i make about 200 a month of purchases and sometimes make multiple payments on purchases.  They do report to all 3 bureaus and it is accurate.  Its helped me get my score up and yes when i hit about 700 ill probably cancel it as i get better cards with lesser fees in the meantime if i asked u would u pay me 99 bucks if i could get your fico score up 50points in a year u probably would if you looking at this review, well thats what this card can do.  All the negative reviews are from stupid people not reading, yes express payments they charge, standard ones are free they take maybe 4 biz days and no your available credit isnt available til after it processes so maybe a week in total.  Everything is in writing people just have to learn to read and they then wont get u with all these hidden charges.

stevez33's review was:

Most Helpful Critical Review

Aweful Card - Good Results

I (like so many other young adults), screwed up my credit in my early 20's. Thus, when I was ready to rebuild my credit I made sure to read the fine print on the Credit One card agreement. I was fully aware of the $75.00 fee and the unreasonably high APR. My plan was to keep the account in good standing for a year, get better credit lines from more reputable companies, then cancel it.

I oped to open an account and get an additional card for my then fiance. This was pretty stupid because he didn't need it and they charged me an additional $20 for it. Nonetheless, I paid my $95 initial fee in full and continued  to use my card modestly for 12 months. My credit line was $400, I kept the balance below 30% and I ALWAYS paid the balance in full before it was due. In short, I basically micro-managed the account. Within 6 months, I was able to get an American Express card. About 5 months after that, I got a Capital One card.

Here's what you need to know about Credit One:

* There are absolutely ZERO benefits or rewards points you can acquire. My American Express account already has 30,000 points that I can use for travel, dinners, hotels. etc. The only benefit to Credit One is that they report to the credit agencies which improves your credit score as long as you pay attention and pay on time.

* The initial fees and APR are really high and ridiculous. As a matter of fact, when my annual fees were approaching they tried to charge me another $20.00 for the additional card I had gotten for my fiance (now husband). However, when I called to dispute the charge they reversed it without having to argue with anyone. He never used the card. As a matter of fact, he never even activated it. I just found it annoying that they tried to charge me anyway.

* There is no customer service option when you call. FYI, you have to press 0 or you'll never talk to anyone. I've read a lot of reviews that say the customer service people are rude. I actually found the reps pretty helpful. Sure, they try to get you off the phone ASAP, but I've never had to haggle or argue with anyone.

* It takes them a few days to post payments. Therefor, I always made a "Standard Payment" which takes a couple of days to process. They have an "Express Payment" option which clears the same day, but I believe they charge for that. I never did it because I felt it was a rip off. Just make sure to pay attention to your payment date. It would have been nice to schedule a payment with a specific payment date instead.

* When I was eligible for a credit line increase, they wanted to charge me $15 if I accepted the offer! Are you freakin kidding me?!

Finally, when I cancelled the card they tried to get me to stay by offering me a "discounted percentage rate of 18% for 6 months". I found this a little insulting because I had been a great customer for a year. When the rep asked me why I was cancelling my account, I told her it was mainly due to the annual fees. It would have been nice if they offered to waive it to keep my business. Either way, I'm glad to have gotten rid on the card!

Bottom line: Its a fairly easy way to rebuild your credit. Pay attention to the fees, use the card conservatively, make your payments on time and cancel it as soon as you qualify for better lines of credit!

Reviews (375)

Worst Customer Service and Worst Website

I understand the fees. I have no problem with that. But whoever programs their website is incompetent. Once the browser warned me it was an insecure connection. In addition to the warning, the site was all screwed up, looked nothing like normal. So I didn't put in my password. I called. The person on the phone kept telling me nothing was wrong and asking me for personal info. The site could have been compromised, including a fake phone number. I didn't give the info. I told him he should look into it and I would try later. He insisted I give him personal info and that the website was fine.

Another time, I tried restting my password. it said succesdsful. Yet still couldn't login with the new password. There is a yes or no question as to whether you also want to reset your username. The only way it works is if you also reset the username. I tried reporting that bug to them. They again insisted everything is working correctly.

Every time I have called customer service, I can barely understand the person on the line. it's all outsourced to India and terrible. I'm paying it down to 0 and going to cut up this card. Terrible company. Don't trust their security or their ability to protect my personal info.

creditworthyclyde's review was:

Write A Reply |
bad card, but open to everyone

First off, know what the purpose of this card is. They accept pretty much anyone, well before any decent card will. It was one of my first when trying to rebuild credit and it has the most fees of any card i've ever used. Fee to join, fee to increase credit limits, monthly fees, etc, etc. With that in mind they accepted me for a $250 card when thats what I needed to get started, nobody else was interested after huge student loan debts. I have better cards now and will be closing this one at some point, but you pay a premium to get a card when nobody else is offering ;)

daybydayrebuild's review was:

Write A Reply |
Scammers!

I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life, by applying for Credit One Card.About a year ago I got this card to help buy School clothes and supplies for my child, I figured I could get it payed off quickly, but I don't think there is any way you could ever pay it off, with their high interest rate, hidden charges, and bogus late fees. They charge you $9.95 to make a payment on the phone and a cost to talk to someone at customer service, they charge a fee to pay your bill online,and if you send the payment by mail 10 days ahead of the due date, the will say its late and you get charged a late fee. So in other words it does not matter your way of paying, they will somehow find a way to still charge you to pay your bill, that someway has to be payed.They even call each month to try and get a double payment from you, this month they actually called me on my cell,while at work.I said "Sir I just made my payment last week,so its not do again to next month" his answer > "let me go ahead and set a payment for you to pay today" ?? forget trying to get an explanation from them, because you can not understand a word they say.I do not know how this company is getting by with they way they are doing business and taking advantage of their customers. Advice to anyone thinking of applying for Credit One Bank Card."Stay clear of them"  I've learned my lesson> use store layaway,for school clothes!

Be careful - follow the rules

I have this card because I screwed up my financial circumstances and took out every card that made an offer.  My fault.  I caused myself greater grief by not paying attention to emails send to an account I seldom read and so missed the notifications sent to pay against the card.   Whatever grief I have with Credit One is of my own doing.  These are not bad people - it's a business and as a client, it is up to you to follow the rules an pay attention.

Horrible!!!!!

I happened to look in my daughters notebook for a piece of paper and there was an overdue bill from this company,.    First of all ii would like to make it clear that she has no income. she goes to school part time and is looking for a job. i pay her bills. Are these people such scumbags that they give credit to someone who has no means whatsoever of paying?!   she doesnt even have a credit score! This card will be closed and i will have to pay it, but i hope these people rot in hell!

this card sucks!

this card is the worst they fee you to death i finally filed a formal complaint about them   www.helpmewithmybank.gov is the place to go lets put an end to nickle and diming people who can ill aford it

Credit One Platinum Visa

Approved in June 2015 with CK 628 with a $500 CL. I really have nothing positive to say about this card other than a positive account to report to the CB's. The online site is horrible, the payment takes at least a week to report unless you're willing to pay extra fee's, I did not recieve the credit score monitoring as advertised in the pre-approval, it took at least 3-4 weeks to receive my card and I'm yet to receive the second user card. I wish I'd never got this card but since I did I'll keep it up till the next $45 annual fee is due then close the account.

After my August payment cleared I received a $200 CLI without charge or requesting. Update to second user card, 26 days later I still have not received the card. I called yesterday and was told 7-10 days additional days.

SHANEINCARROLLTON's reply was:

Do not fall for the EXPRESS Payment

Credit One offers an express payment option that suggest that if you make your payment using this option and pay an additional $9.95 then your payment will post the next day and that payment will be available for use the next day too. However, that is NOT true. Only $100 will be available and the rest will be available days later. If you make a standard payment they will hold the payment for 5 days.

Do not use, they are not secure.

I've had Credit One Bank for about four years now. I've never had any problems. Yes, they will nickle and dime you for all sorts of fees, but I knew that going into the account. I had no credit cards for a few years, so I decided to build my credit rating back up.

Everything has been fine until the end of May, 2015.

I received an alert from my checking account bank that my account was overdrawn. I log in, and wow, an express payment of over six hundred dollars that I did not make to Credit One went through. I alert my bank that it's a pretty weird payment, they mark it as fraud and I call the credit card. They don't seem to understand what happened, they marked it as fraud, and I went on my merry way. Note: I was not late on payments and had just paid them $425.

A few days later, I receive another overdraft notice from my bank. I look at my account, and ANOTHER express payment of $1180 went through. What in the world. I log back into my credit card, and I look through my payments and I realize that their system is duplicating past payments that I've made. Odd.

I cancel the card for protection, they tell me it's cancelled. Fine. I'll wait for a new card.

Well the next day I call the credit card company back to verify my account was indeed closed, and it was, but not before a fraud charge of over $680 went through. What. How can a charge go through on an account that was supposed to be closed? They told me that it takes 24 hours before the card is officially closed when their systems update. Yeeeeeah okay. That's shady.

I report this card as fraud, and they tell me everything is taken care of now, that my replacement card is in the mail and no more charges can be made. Fine.

Two weeks later, no card. Also note: once the card is cancelled you no longer have access to your online account, you cannot log in to monitor anything. You must have an active, valid card to access your account. No card, but I do receive in the mail that my mailing address has been successfully updated....to one that isn't my address. I have not moved. Of course I call the bank.

As it turns out, AFTER my account was closed, someone either hacked into their shady system OR someone who works there, changed my mailing address AND my email address in an attempt to get my new card. At this point, I've had enough. I completely close the account and tell them to mail me my last bill and statement.

I just now, THREE WEEKS LATER, received a statement...that has that $680 fraud charge on it plus two express payment fees for the two payments I never made.

I call them again, asking them to tell me what my actual balance is. They don't really know, because their fraud department is still investigating and it will take up to SIX MONTHS to complete the investigation. I ask to speak to a manager. They tell me it's 30-90 days and I'll be receiving information soon and I can just make the minimum payments...only I refuse to give them my bank account information.

So, it's been weeks and weeks, my account was completely compromised, they still do not know what I owe, and now my credit rating (which was just fine before this) will end up taking dings because I don't know what to actually pay them.

In short, someone who works for them is either engaging in criminal activity and stealing your information or their system is so weak that their security sucks.

Furthermore, they do not have 24 hour customer service, and aren't even open on Sundays so if you do have to file a fraud alert, you have to wait until they're open, in which case EVEN MORE fraud can happen.

I am now filing police reports and wondering if this is going to end up in court.

BEWARE. DO NOT USE THEM. DO NOT. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

This is almost identical to what I'm going through! I went to use my card and it was declined. When I called to check to see what the issue was, I was told that someone tried to make a payment in the amount of $556.00. I told them that is was not me and I did not authorize anyone to make a payment. I was told the account was closed and a new card was being mailed. 3 weeks later, no card. I called back and was told the account was under fraud investigation. 2 months later, I get a letter from them telling me to complete the affidavit and attach a police report.....I did not file a police report because no one told me to and I have paid for the "fraud protection," since I got the card. I've never been late on a payment. I call the sheriffs department, which is a total waste of their time and resources, the deputy said, since someone tried to make a payment, there was no crime, so there is nothing to file a report about. I can't login to see any progress because the account is
"Closed" This has been a total nightmare! Every call that I've made has taken up a minimum of an hour. I have told everyone I know to NOT do business with them.

Sjk2's reply was:

Good card for bad credit.

I applied and recieved this card about 3 years ago when my credit score was around 540.  Yes there is an annual fee, yes the payment process is slow unless you pay an express fee, yes the interest rate will be higher than prime, and no you will not receive any rewards or benefits from using it.  But this card is a great option for a person trying to rebuild credit, when I had a 540 I was a huge credit risk and credit one was the only company that gave me a chance.  Yes I had to pay for that chance but they take on quite a bit of risk by catering to low and no credit customers.  Well 3 years later by making my payments ontime every month and keeping my balance low i now have a 680 and and was recently able to buy a home and get a citi american airlines credit card.  This card is not a long term option but for me the amount I paid them over the last 3 years was certainly worth the improvements I have seen in my score.  I have dealt with customer service twice in the last three years and yes there is a labrynth of an automated phone system to deal with, but once I actually reached a person, both times the issues I had were resolved quickly and to my liking.  So in summary, if you can qualify for a better card do it, if this is your only option, then use it responsibly to improve your financial life but be aware going into it that your bad score is going to cost you.

Add Your Review Of Credit One Bank

Rate this product

Rate your application experience (Optional)

What is your experience with this product?

I Have It

I Used To Have It

I Applied For It

Write your review:

Post as Member

Credit One Bank is one of the leading issuers of Visa credit cards specifically for consumers who need to establish or rebuild their credit. Through Credit One Bank’s website, consumers can get pre-qualified or apply for a credit card without affecting their credit score. Consumers can also look over credit card offerings and check the status of their credit card application. Once consumers become cardholders, they can manage their account online through 24/7 online account access, sign up for email and text alert notifications, and also design and customize their card with the Design My Card lab online. Cardholders' payment records are reported to the three major credit bureaus. Customer service is available in an online help center, by mail, and over the phone.

Credit One Bank is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Credit One Bank