Regular purchase APR

5.0
from Credit Karma members in the last year

Jun 17 2013
Not bad

? Before I go on to talk about the "cards" pros and cons, I would like to start by saying that Fingerhut is one of the few creditors that will literally approve ANYONE that applies. This is great for those who are wanting to establish credit, or recover from a bankruptcy who don't want to go the secured card route. They are also one of the few creditors(not just sub-prime lenders, but all cc companies) that give regular cli's to those who use their credit line responsibly. ? The Good: -- They will approve just about anyone. -- Regular credit line increases(I got my first $100 increase in the first month of having???? the card) -- OK-ish selection of name brand items available. -- Average to good customer service depending on who you deal with. -- No yearly fees. -- Website doesn't look like it was put together by a dyslexic 5th grader(I don't know about??? everyone else, but to me this is a huge plus). -- Low payments The Bad: -- High APR(mine was like 22.8 or something. This will vary depending on your "credit????????? worthiness"). -- Items are expensive. A TV on Fingerhut costs roughly 25% more than if you bought it at? ?? any other retailer.? -- If you have a thin file, or if you have really low scores you might be placed in????????? Fingerhut's "fresh start" program. If this happens, you will be given a $250 limit and be??? required to put down a $30 deposit on your first purchase. This might come off as an?????? inconvenience to some(if so, you probably shouldn't be considering a cc in the first?????? place), but it's still better than paying a company $300 to use your own money. -- I could be wrong about this(please correct me if I am) but fromy experience the only?????? CRI that fingerhut consistently reports to is Transunion. After a bit of digging, I've found that a few people had Fingerhut report to Equifax as well, but my credit report?????? would beg to differ.This more than likely won't be a problem for most people, but if??? you're setting up this account as a means of establishing credit, this could be an issue. The Verdict: All in all Fingerhut is definitely something worth looking into if you need to establish/repair credit, or just simply want something on their site but don't have the means to pay for it all up front(given the mark up of their items, I would strongly advise that you don't do this). In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons,however; if you have more than a year of credit history and 650+ scores, I would suggest looking into either the Amazon Visa(Experian), or the Best Buy(Transunion) Store card. Both have semi-high APR's, but their approval rate is good, and you can purchase pretty much any item found on Fingerhut for 15%-25% less.

Mar 21 2014
Hard credit hit, hard to place order

I applied for this because it was recommended here by CK and other reviewers.? Had a CK score of 615, immediately went down to 594.? *Hard, hard hit*.? Got approved for the Freshstart program, so I have to pre-pay a $30.00 deposit on a item minimum of $50.00. I tried to place an order on Fingerhut site and pay that thirty bucks.? Would not take order due to their glitch, yet hit my bank account twice with holds that lasted almost a week.? My credit union said Fingerhut must fax them a release, Fingerhut says credit union must contact them.? So that's why hold went on for week. Called and tried to place order when those holds were finally released . Figured it might work better by phone than online.? Customer service rep, who barely spoke English, told me the payment site was down for a while. Waited a few days, today went on their site to place order, to find a notice the entire site is down for a few days. Crud.? I had planned to buy something just over then minimum $50.00 limit.?? Then occasionally buy something inexpensive to keep account active. This entire episode has been very disappointing, including a previous attempt to post my experiences here, as my original posting seemed to disappear.? I will try, once again, to contact Fingerhut something next week when the site is supposely working.?? A two week pain and stretching towards three weeks. If I had to do this over again, I sure wouldn't bother with Fingerhut.? I would suggest you don't either.? But since I've already taken the credit hit, I will try for a while longer, and let you all know.

Apr 08 2020
Got denied but says excellent approval

Card showed up on credit karma as excellent approval and I still got denied without an explanation.

Apr 08 2020
Credit booster

It helps me with my credit. It shows my on time monthly payments. It comes up as a positive & keeps me above water with my score. Just don’t use over 30% of the credit they give you

Jul 20 2017
They screwed me over...

I'm going to start by saying, this was not completely fingerhut's fault...but it was certainly wrong. Last time I had purchased items with fingerhut wa close to a hear ago (June 2016). I had thought I had finished paying off my balance, my fault...I should of double checked. Fast forward to a few days ago, I'm checking on my credit report...making sure everything was still looking good...when I noticed I had a delinquent account. Did some digging to find out fingerhut called it in. No phone call, no letter by mail, no email. No, I find out through my credit report. I'm sorry, yes I should of checked and made sure I was in good standing. But it is also wrong for a creditor to allow an account to go on for so long, without calling or sending a letter. At least something before just selling my account to a collection agency. As soon as I found out I got the info I need to pay it off. If fingerhut would have at least tried to contact me, I would have paid! And now, because of fingerhut' disorderly system...I'm going to hav a delinquent mark for seven years. Thank you for ruining my credit. Real great company you are.?

Mar 29 2017
Junk

They will steal your money and cancel your order

Mar 29 2017
Worst company ever

They took my money and then canceled my order then 60 days later after they said they would return my money they stolen they said they returned my money which they never did and I have the bank statements to prove, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY, they don't just steal on the total cost they don't even put your order through they just take your money and play dumb.

Mar 20 2017
Made my score drop!

They basically threaten you that if you don't buy something, your credit will be taken away! I re-established credit 3 years ago and paid them off. I refuse to buy their overpriced, low quality items. They increased my limit to $2300 then dropped it to $1600 thereby causing my credit score to drop by 2 points! It's ridiculous!

Feb 20 2017
Great credit booster but overpriced

With a credit score below 600, Fingerhut initially granted me with a $600 credit limit which I used to purchase a sewing machine. After paying it off they raised my credit limit to $1000. I would like the site more if they had better options especially with clothing. I have to search hard to find fair prices before purchasing as many of the items I found were sometimes double than other stores online. Overall, I am happy with it but don't use it all that often.

Jan 27 2017
wonderful way to get what you need!

I oredered what we needed and make the payments ontime . Over 1K CL in three months .it hads been great for the kids when tey needed new shoes. Yes, you pay more but you do ?that anywhere when you have a low to no credit score.?

Jan 14 2017