Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card Reviews

Cardholders' Choice i

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR 0%* for 12 months

Our Take

If you have good to excellent credit and are looking for attractive travel rewards, the Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card could be an appealing option.

What to Like

Cardholders earn 1.25 miles on every purchase every day, as well as a 20,000 mile bonus after spending $1,000 in the first three months of card membership. Miles can be redeemed for airline tickets, hotel rooms and car rentals with no limit on the amount of miles earned, and no expiration date. The Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card also offers a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 12 months.

Look Out For

Late payments can result in a late penalty fee, so it’s important to stay on-time. Unredeemed rewards can also be lost if your card is closed.

Mar 11, 2015
APPROVED!
MichaelintheLBC Cardholder

Credit Karma recommended I apply for Capital One's "VentureOne" card with good approval odds.  I decided to apply, as I'd been working on improving my credit for the past two years.  However, not wanting to just jump in, I researched both cards using Credit Karma's community reviews, credit card metrics, and other credit card boards for opinions, regarding approval.

The general consesus is to use Capital One's "pre-approval" tool.

Based on Capital One's questions/ remarks for defining "Excellent", "Average," or "Rebuilding," I defined my credit as "Excellent" - even though it's far from it:

From Credit Karma:
TransUnion Vantage Score: 687

TransUnion "New Account" (traditional FICO estimate): 629

From Capital One's report:

TransUnion: 642

I chose "Excellent' based on my personal profile of not having the "Average" negative remarks/ notes.  In any case, back to the pre-approval tool, they came back with the VentureOne as a recommendation.  So, I figured I'd apply for the VentureOne - no lie, having Credit Karma's "recommend for you" (and the past couple years of credit rebuilding and the research) gave me the 'courage' to submit.  60 seconds later: APPROVED!

Addional Credit Profile Notes:

GOOD: My credit utilization, deragotory remarks, total accounts (mostly student loans), and credit inquiries were all in "Excellent" status.

BAD: My payment history was very poor (95%), and my average age was poor (4y 7m).

CAVEATS: All of my open/ current accounts have been on-time/ no lates for the past 2-3 years.  My older accounts are student loans approaching 10 years.  Lastly, I have 3 CLOSED/ REMOVED collection accounts.  The most recent (and last) collection was closed less than a month before applying.

I have a decent salary: $63,000.

Additional Credit Card Notes:

This was the first 'real' credit card I applied for in the past 2 years, after being declined.  However, I took note of the reasons why I was declined (Chase Freedom (05/2013) and Macy's (03/2013)  ) and worked on improving the areas noted.

I chose to apply for the VentureOne card because I want to finance a trip to visit family in Florida and future flights/ trips - I live in California.  I also intend to use it for higher expenses, like auto maintenance, to build miles.

In the same 10min window, I applied for both the VentureOne and Quicksilver (approved for both) basically because I'd "burned" a hard inquiry anyways.  I've reviewed my credit reports, and as I thought, I only have one hard credit inquiry for both cards.  I was planning on applying for both eventually anyways, so this was a nice 2 for 1 opportunity.

I hope my review helps some people with similar situations.  I'll re-review the card, after I've had it longer.  But so far, it's working as I'd expected it to, the customer service has been courteous and easy to work with (I had to update my address before receiveng the card), and the website is user-friendly.

Aug 10, 2013
Stay Away
Anonymous Cardholder

I'll start by saying I have had a Capital one card for at least 10 years. I've been happy using it overseas, but unhappy about the APR issue and finally challenged them overit several times this week.

I think you should be made aware that the 11.9-19.9% APR range is a scam.Thats the only way I can describe it, seeing as it doesn't appear to be possible to get it lowered below 19.9%.

When I called to ask why my APR was 19.9% even though my credit score is about 825, they told me it was because it was all they could offer me. No 'body' on the phone would even discuss the 11.9% or tell me what I had to doaside from having a good credit score to get it. I called several times over several days about the issue just to be thorough, and I got the same stonewalling each time.

I eventually had to hang up and call the 'new cards' line pretending to be a new customer wanting the card to be told anything about the APR. They told me that the APR was decided based on my credit. Surprise surprise!

So, the application line says its given based on my good credit, but the customer service line says I can't get it lowered from 19.9% even with my 825 credit score.

I just want to share my very disturbing personal experience with everyone. When I call each time, I get an overseas call office that sound like they just want to read off the screen. When I repeated my question clearly asking "what does it take to get a lower APR" the lady at the other end would just get confused and say they were giving me all they could give me. Total Stonewalling... and as I hope you are starting to pick up.. pathetic excuse for customer service.

I emailed them at my account on their website too and they said they couldn't help me but to call the number. I did that 3 times just to give them a chance. I have a witness who was even on one of the phone calls with me (who, after hearing their bizarre treatment of me as a customer, no longer wants to get one of their cards by the way!)

I think everyone should be fully aware of the TRUTH rather than the facade.

May 17, 2017
Im batting 1000 with CK reccomendations
Eastbaydave Cardholder

my scores are currently 628 TU/ 608 EX, i only have 2 other capital one cards (quicksilver one and secured "platinum") and up until today I was stuck with $1500 in available credit after defaulting and eventually settling 4 other cards over the last few years. I saw I had "very good" odds so i took the plunge and was approved for a $2k limit which worked out fine for me. The "odds" tool is a great feature enabling CK users to preview potential opportunities to build or expand their credit options. By the way, I dont carry a balance and mainly utilize the cash back of the quicksilver card. In conclusion: with my business purchases of $2k-4k per month i get loads of cash back and am looking forward to zero percent interest with the venture one once it arrives!

May 17, 2017
Buyer Beware of the scammers Capital One
SR00 Cardholder

Capital One is by far one of the worst banks around. They will lie to you, cheat you & I am pretty sure they also sell your personal information for profit without consent.

Try calling their "customer service"  good luck! You would have an easier time explaining the issue to a monkey!  They are extremely deceitful & will play games for months until you finally give in or close your accounts with them!

Save yourself the aggravation & pass on this disgusting, disgraceful excuse of a bank.  FYI their "partner" cards like the GM BuyPower Card are even worse even though it shouldn't even be possible!!

May 21, 2017

BS

I Decided to Apply WoW
rocku24 Cardholder

Credit Karma recommended I apply for Capital One's "VentureOne" card with odds of "very good".  I decided to apply, as I'd been working on improving my credit for the past two years.  I researched the card using Credit Karma's community reviews, credit card metrics regarding approval. To my surprise, I got approved for $2,000. Thanks, CK and Capital One

From Credit Karma:

TransUnion Vantage Score: 678

Equfax Vantage Score: 649

My TransUnion  FICO 708

May 16, 2017
Will cancel card without reason
deepss69 Cardholder

Had this card for years. 25k CL.

Paid off monthly.

Used my miles for flights.

Charged 18k on it last month.

Card now cancelled. No reason. Letter stated I was not a card user they approved of.

What???

May 19, 2017

You paid off monthly. You got the rewards and they made no money from interest. Of course they don't want you.

May 15, 2017
What a big Surprise!
kuilan2014 Cardholder

The last time I did this review I had just applied for the Venture One card.  Normally you get a "Congradulations you are approved" But I did not.  So I thought I was not approved and I would get a letter in the mail.  To my surprise I did get a letter in the mail, with an approval of $10,000.  I really thought they made a mistake with the numbers, maybe a $1,000...but nope it was $10,000.  I have never in my 30 years having credit have I had a $10,000 cc .  Thank you Venture One you made my day!

May 16, 2017

Do you mind sharing what your credit score numbers were?

May 20, 2017

I also just got approved for 10,000. My scores were in the 680s and right at 700. I think Transunion was the higher and Equifax was lower. I've got a business card and another credit card with Capital One. Never had a problem with them. I've always had good customer service wth them. So far I'm enjoying the no interest introductory rate with my venture card.

May 12, 2017
Hanhoun Cardholder

It's the best credit card and customer service two years ago I applied for capital one I was approved for &500 my credit score was 639 now I have over $7000 credit limit and my score between 725 and 740 I love capital one I recommended to anyone

May 10, 2017
Great card for travelers
Anonymous Cardholder

Got approved : Ex:610 TU:695 EQ:692 They pull from all three bureaus. The minimum is $2000, but seen approval for much higher. If they request documentation to be sent in send it that same day via fax. Expect an answer in two days. Good luck.

May 07, 2017
Well Done Capital One
WoodlandDesign Cardholder

I lifted my credit score from 599 to 738 in under 8 months because of the help of Credit Karma and by Capital One extending me credit.

I can't say enough about my positive experience with Cap One.  They have now approved me for $5000.00 for this card and raised my credit line on my original card without a request, helping my credit scores.

Kudos for both of these companies.  Do what they recommend and you WILL see results quickly!

May 01, 2017
Overall Good but not the card for travel
Paparazzi1920 Cardholder

Go with the Chase card than this more points and better reviews. I was too quick applying for my first card here. :(

Apr 14, 2017
Very good option for travel rewards
EnMessi Cardholder

I have the decision within minutes of my aplicación, I have 722 score when I apply for it. They approve me for 15k and I have the one time rewards on the first month of use it was grate because i was traveling to Mexico and pay for the airline ticket.

Sample Size: 1,604
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card