Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card

Cardholders' Choice i

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR 0%* for 12 months

Our Take

If you have good to excellent credit and are looking for attractive travel rewards, the Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card could be an appealing option.

What to Like

Cardholders earn 1.25 miles on every purchase every day, as well as a 20,000 mile bonus after spending $1,000 in the first three months of card membership. Miles can be redeemed for airline tickets, hotel rooms and car rentals with no limit on the amount of miles earned, and no expiration date. The Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card also offers a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 12 months.

Look Out For

Late payments can result in a late penalty fee, so it’s important to stay on-time. Unredeemed rewards can also be lost if your card is closed.

Mar 11, 2015
APPROVED!
MichaelintheLBC Cardholder

Credit Karma recommended I apply for Capital One's "VentureOne" card with good approval odds.  I decided to apply, as I'd been working on improving my credit for the past two years.  However, not wanting to just jump in, I researched both cards using Credit Karma's community reviews, credit card metrics, and other credit card boards for opinions, regarding approval.

The general consesus is to use Capital One's "pre-approval" tool.

Based on Capital One's questions/ remarks for defining "Excellent", "Average," or "Rebuilding," I defined my credit as "Excellent" - even though it's far from it:

From Credit Karma:
TransUnion Vantage Score: 687

TransUnion "New Account" (traditional FICO estimate): 629

From Capital One's report:

TransUnion: 642

I chose "Excellent' based on my personal profile of not having the "Average" negative remarks/ notes.  In any case, back to the pre-approval tool, they came back with the VentureOne as a recommendation.  So, I figured I'd apply for the VentureOne - no lie, having Credit Karma's "recommend for you" (and the past couple years of credit rebuilding and the research) gave me the 'courage' to submit.  60 seconds later: APPROVED!

Addional Credit Profile Notes:

GOOD: My credit utilization, deragotory remarks, total accounts (mostly student loans), and credit inquiries were all in "Excellent" status.

BAD: My payment history was very poor (95%), and my average age was poor (4y 7m).

CAVEATS: All of my open/ current accounts have been on-time/ no lates for the past 2-3 years.  My older accounts are student loans approaching 10 years.  Lastly, I have 3 CLOSED/ REMOVED collection accounts.  The most recent (and last) collection was closed less than a month before applying.

I have a decent salary: $63,000.

Additional Credit Card Notes:

This was the first 'real' credit card I applied for in the past 2 years, after being declined.  However, I took note of the reasons why I was declined (Chase Freedom (05/2013) and Macy's (03/2013)  ) and worked on improving the areas noted.

I chose to apply for the VentureOne card because I want to finance a trip to visit family in Florida and future flights/ trips - I live in California.  I also intend to use it for higher expenses, like auto maintenance, to build miles.

In the same 10min window, I applied for both the VentureOne and Quicksilver (approved for both) basically because I'd "burned" a hard inquiry anyways.  I've reviewed my credit reports, and as I thought, I only have one hard credit inquiry for both cards.  I was planning on applying for both eventually anyways, so this was a nice 2 for 1 opportunity.

I hope my review helps some people with similar situations.  I'll re-review the card, after I've had it longer.  But so far, it's working as I'd expected it to, the customer service has been courteous and easy to work with (I had to update my address before receiveng the card), and the website is user-friendly.

Aug 10, 2013
Stay Away
Anonymous Cardholder

I'll start by saying I have had a Capital one card for at least 10 years. I've been happy using it overseas, but unhappy about the APR issue and finally challenged them overit several times this week.

I think you should be made aware that the 11.9-19.9% APR range is a scam.Thats the only way I can describe it, seeing as it doesn't appear to be possible to get it lowered below 19.9%.

When I called to ask why my APR was 19.9% even though my credit score is about 825, they told me it was because it was all they could offer me. No 'body' on the phone would even discuss the 11.9% or tell me what I had to doaside from having a good credit score to get it. I called several times over several days about the issue just to be thorough, and I got the same stonewalling each time.

I eventually had to hang up and call the 'new cards' line pretending to be a new customer wanting the card to be told anything about the APR. They told me that the APR was decided based on my credit. Surprise surprise!

So, the application line says its given based on my good credit, but the customer service line says I can't get it lowered from 19.9% even with my 825 credit score.

I just want to share my very disturbing personal experience with everyone. When I call each time, I get an overseas call office that sound like they just want to read off the screen. When I repeated my question clearly asking "what does it take to get a lower APR" the lady at the other end would just get confused and say they were giving me all they could give me. Total Stonewalling... and as I hope you are starting to pick up.. pathetic excuse for customer service.

I emailed them at my account on their website too and they said they couldn't help me but to call the number. I did that 3 times just to give them a chance. I have a witness who was even on one of the phone calls with me (who, after hearing their bizarre treatment of me as a customer, no longer wants to get one of their cards by the way!)

I think everyone should be fully aware of the TRUTH rather than the facade.

Apr 18, 2017
Instant Approval
Boymom1517 Cardholder

I received instant approval of a 10k credit line with TU score of 708. I currently have the Capital One Quicksilver with only a $500 limit since 2015 when I started repairing my credit. I called to "upgrade" without taking a hit for an inquiry but they told me I was not eligibe and had to submit a new app. I'm glad I did! I applied directly through capital one's website because they are offering 40k miles after 3k purchase in 3 months (equal to $400). Credit Karma advertises only 20k miles.

0 derogatory
100%payment history
9% overall utilization

Apr 14, 2017
Very good option for travel rewards
EnMessi Cardholder

I have the decision within minutes of my aplicación, I have 722 score when I apply for it. They approve me for 15k and I have the one time rewards on the first month of use it was grate because i was traveling to Mexico and pay for the airline ticket.

Apr 10, 2017
WOW
biinkunsan Cardholder

I have two other Capital One cards and a AmerX with limits ranging from $7000 to $11800.  I decided to give this one a try, I just love their rewards program. My TU is 767, EQ 764 and EX is 734. The application process took maybe 3 minutes, $30,000 limit. THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE!!!

Apr 10, 2017
Just got this card
mikedelmonte Cardholder

My TU is 740 EQ 760 EXP 770. I currently have the Capitol one platinum card limit 3500. Was 1500 before the 5 payments then they auto upped my limit. I have 2 Amex clear everyday cards with 18k each. Citi double cash card with 5500. Citi best buy card 2k Amex gold card no pre set limit. Amex delta airlines gold card 2k. Discover it card 5500. Walmart master card 2500. Overstock store card 3900. Us bank secured card 600 (my first start up card) all these cards I applied for with in the last 2 years. I do have a citi card as autherized user from a friend of mine which is the real trick to get these cresit card conpanys to approve you, its 20k limit woth 20 year open history. I have one closed auto loan. One current auto loan. No mortgage. 7 inquires . For this card I was not automatically approved. I did call the consideration line. They asked me a few questions and said they would let me know. 7 days later I got a email saying my card was on the way. When I got the card I seen they gave me a 10k limit. Sweeeeeeeet

Apr 01, 2017
RisingSunshine Cardholder

I've been rebuilding my credit for the last year or so. I purchased a new car around 6 months ago. I already own the Capital One Platinum credit card. Upon signing in to my CK account and seeing my updated scores (TU 645, EQ 649) along with new credit card recommendations, I weighed my options and decided to give this card a try. I was instantly approved with a $2,000 limit. The application process was quick and simple, no complaints!

Mar 29, 2017
Ratpar Cardholder

I just received my card and have not yet used it. I will review it more in the future. When applying I had a 743 vantage score on Credit Karma, a bankruptcy 5 years ago and about a 665 Fico score when I last checked. I was given a 10,000$ limit and 17% interest rate. My income varies and is around 65-70,000 per year. Hope this helps with your decision to apply. C. K. Said I had a very good chance of approval.

Mar 29, 2017
Da bomb!
Mayelly1 Cardholder

I only had this card for 2 weeks and I already love it! Transactions and payments post really fast and this is almost my everyday card now.

My score was 702 when I applied for it. Got $2k limit (lowest limit compared to other cards I have) but that was a good start. In order for me use it less than 30%, I pay charges as soon as they are posted so that I can use it again and earn my miles which are also posted just as fast. Can't wait to get my 20k miles when I hit the $1k charge total and I'm so determined to get that ASAP so that I can apply it to my next travel plans!

Good job on this card Cap 1! If you are thinking about applying for this card, stop thinking, DO IT!

Mar 27, 2017
I love Capital One
KSUAJS Cardholder

I wish I could put into words just how much I love Capital One. A little recap:

This time last year I had a 490 credit score. As of today I am 697. All thanks to Capital One. First started with the secured card 2 years ago which currently has a $700 limit (never increased after 6 months but thats ok!). I then applied for the QuickSilverOne card this time last year, which started at $1,000 and a year later is at $4500! This past Saturday Capital One Auto Financing approved me for a brand new car at 3% APR! I figured I was take the hit on my credit report so I might as well apply for the VentureOne. Now, many people who already have CO like to just upgrade from their current card, but I really like my QuickSilver card and didnt want to get rid of it. So I upgraded it to the regular QuickSilver card and applied for the VentureOne with a $2000 limit! About an hour ago I was denied for the Southwest credit card from Chase. Their loss, I would have been a loyal customer. Capital One saved the day! (I was so sad). It has been an incredible 2 year journey in rebuilding my credit but Capital One has been there every step of the way and rewards those who pay their bills on time! Just as a point of reference, Credit Karma has me at 670TU and 669EQ. FICO has me at 636.

Mar 22, 2017
NYKnicksTape Cardholder

To start declared BK in 2011, Today CK just updated me with 655 reported score from both, 40% utilization.  I currently have 2 cap 1 cards, quicksilver and platinum.  Listed my income as 51K.  As per credit karma my odds of getting this card was "very good."  I tried a CLI on both cards today, got approved for one and denied the other that did have high utilization but i went again and applied for this.  Got approved for $2,000.  Now I will have fun spending $1,000 in the first 3 months in order to get the 20,000 bonus miles.  My first "real" rewards card!  thanks cap1 and CK!

Mar 19, 2017
Best of the Best
Anonymous Cardholder

3 years ago, I had the worst credit ever with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure, and Capital One was the only one that gave me credit. I started with $1000 and now my credit limit is 15k, using my card every day to purchase and/or pay everything. The miles are great for restaurants, and other stuff. I think is the Best Credit Card I have for sure in the last 20 years.

Sample Size: 1,604
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card