Capital One® Secured Mastercard® Reviews

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 24.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

Jan 14, 2017
Great to help build credit!
Thelma85 Cardholder

I applied for this card with a score of 560 in Feb 2016 and was approved with a minimum deposit of $99. I made a $100 deposit and they gave me a limit of $201. I use this for small purchases here and there (Birchbox subscription, gas, fast food) and paid more than my minimum payment every month, usually I would pay the entire balance. I logged in this evening to pay my balance of $43 and now my credit limit says $501! So in 11 months they upped me $300. More importantly, in 11 months my credit score has gone from a 560 to a 682 and I was approved for a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards card with a $4,000 limit!

May 08, 2017
Good, but there are better options
Verapera Cardholder

I applied without a credit history, and this card did help me build my credit from mid 600 to 720 in 8 months. I have no complaints about customer service or the card itself, but I will say that there are better options. I have used the card responsibly, but am ineligible for a credit limit increase or product change. My secured Discover card, on the other hand, became automatically unsecured at 6 months, and I was recently approved for a $2,500 increase. In addition, it even offers cash back and a matched bonus after the first 12 months. In short, this card is fine, but there are other secured cards that may allow you to build credit even faster. I would recommend shopping around before settling on this one, depending on your situation.

Sp959b Cardholder

My score went on 70 points in two months

Up*

Nov 19, 2017

Apply for the card; you want regret it... went from very opt to fair within two months. The $99 deposit was worth it

Nov 18, 2017
Great idea bad company
wolfgirl1984 Cardholder

My wife and i got this card at the end of may 2017, had a super easy application process easy to add an approved person for purchases and contact. The first problem that croped up was, I was the secondary on the account so that stoped me from being able to call the payment in or even talk to a rep abnout anything that had to do with the account, second they started charging us intrest on 10 dollars the 4th month in before the account came due, then said they had made a mistake and removed the intrest charges, finally this month was our 6th month of having the card and we were due a credit limit increse, they closed our account calling our payment method fraudlent. now we are getting hit for a cloed account with a high balance, that cant be paid until they send us a letter pretaining as to why they closed our account.

when i say we had a high balance i dont me like 5000 but it was high for us as we usually pay the balance the same week that we use the card as to keep it at 0. the balance at closing was 262 of 500, the card was never maxed out and we had never had any issues until it came time for the CLI.

Nov 18, 2017

I pay through their app, so paying isn't a problem, they are very slow at removing the money from my account.

My credit limit is only $200, I don't know anything about your payment situation, something capital one didn't like, only they can tell you what happened, good luck.

Not good enough
Ingridsos Cardholder

I opened this credit card with a security deposit of $400 in 2014 and only had $700 credit line, I always paid on time and they never increased the line and I decided to paid it off last month and closed it and Now I can’t get my $400 back, every time that I call asking about they say that something happend with the check and nobody can give me a resonable answer. I am still waiting a phone call from the manager.

Nov 17, 2017

That's not good, you were a custom for 3 years, they should have given your money right back.

Nov 17, 2017
Im happy with it so far.
Dee0515 Cardholder

So far so good. I have had this card for three months. The only complaint I have is that it takes so long to get it once you apply and are approved. I think it is the best out of all these other secure cards on credit karma.

Bunch of crooks
Jeramy1269 Cardholder

I did the $200 deposit didn't use the card for about 2 months then had a death in family used card for gas for travel to funeral and back explained that I lost my job during that time and would not be able to pay next months payment found a job but needed has to get to job said $68 available balance tried getting gas to get to first day of work was told until I made a payment card would be declined expressed to manager that I get paid on Friday and would pay balance of card back to have a zero balance and rude customer service manager got her getto attitude out and I explained it was my money that they where holding and not only collecting the interest in their bank but the internet that they where charging me was actually double dipping on my money she then said if you don't like it close the account to which I did then was informed that they would continue to collect 2 more months interest before cutting me a check for what they still owed me from my "deposit"

Nov 15, 2017

Everything you said could be 100% accurate, but there was nothing the customer service person could do.

You missed a payment, no matter what the reason you missed a payment, so card will be deactivated until you make a payment.

Nov 16, 2017

Simple. You didnt pay. Not being responsible.

Nov 17, 2017

You gave them a bad rating because you missed a payment. If you miss your cell phone payment they'll cut your phone off. It's simple.

Nov 17, 2017

It's a secured card for a reason and if you are already having issues with payments, good luck to you!

Nov 14, 2017
Meant for initial credit boost.
Bmore04 Cardholder

Within 2 months, my credit rose ~120 points. After having this card for 6 months, I've had no further credit changes or limit increases on this card. I'd only recommend this card if you need a quick credit boost. I even applied for credit increase and was denied, being told that this card is not applicable for requested increases. This card is only issued increases at Capital One's discretion.

If you get this card, try to dump in within a years time so you can move on to better options. I'm currently at a $200 limit with $100 deposit and 25% interest. All my payments are on time and I hold a $0 balance on the card

Nov 14, 2017

I've had mine 10 months and they've increased it 2 times..without me asking..depends on how much u make versus everything else. Just because u want one doesn't mean u need one 🤔

Nov 15, 2017

Like how you accurately rated the card a 3, 100% correct rating.

guero26p Cardholder

This card is amazing after the first month of having it. My credit score jumped up 34 points.

Nov 15, 2017

Did your score go down after applying

Nov 13, 2017
7 month review score raise 48 points
CreditRook Cardholder

i own this car for 7 months now and help my credit but is a slow process im finaly seing the benefits of owning this card and it was worth the wait. creditkarma would be better if some card owner dont be misinformed or give misinformation and fake review

Nov 14, 2017

100% correct, so many fake reviews, takes about 6 months to see a raise in credit card score, I haven't see a raise yet, according to simulator, I will get my first raise the 16th of this month.

Nov 14, 2017

48 points is great, mine isn't estimated to be that high, Mine will be 17 which will be 107 up from current state of 520, but I started with 610 so in reality it's only a 17 point gain.

I started think, all these people reporting all these large jumps, might not even realise their score dropped once they got the credit card, so they think their score has jumped by a 100 when in fact in might of went up 10.

Anyway good luck.

Nov 14, 2017

YES FAKE REVIEWS INSULT OTHERS AND MISINFORMATION IS VERY BAD HERE. I DONT COUNT ON THE SIMULATOR IS FAR FROM ACURATE. ITS A TOOL USED FOR GUESSTIMATE PURPOSE ONLY. YOU MIGHT BE DISAPPOINTED IF YOUR CALCULATIONS ARE OFF

Nov 14, 2017

I will know for sure on the 16th, so far in my case it has been accurate.

The simulator said my score would drop to 582 once I opened credit for $200, sure enough it dropped.

Simulator said my score would drop to 499 if I had a balance of $183 on my credit card, it drop to exactly 499.

Now it says my score will be 627 on the 16th if I carry a balance of $3 which is what I have, the 16th is the date capital one reports to my credit bureau.

I will post back on the 16th my score.

Nov 14, 2017

I haven't read any successful stories with this card yet, so we are all in the beginning to learn with each other.

I have used credit karma app to get to the two credit bureaus they use, make an account on each's website then disputed everything on my credit report.

The first time about 7 things came off, took little over 30 days, then I just started using credit karma app and just disputed everything on Trans Union through the app.

One month later more stuff came off.

I am down to one remaining on Trans Union and 3 on Equifax.

I had to use CFPB to get sprint off, those leeches couldn't be dropped just by disputing them, CFPB got rid of the leeches though.

I am left with 3 different medical bills. Trans Union and Equifax both show the same one, but Equifax also has two more from same collection agency.

After talking to both Trans Union and Equifax, I am given a choice pay them or left them drop off over time.

The largest one $523 has been on my account for 4 years 6 months, both Trans Union and Equifax said if I don't pay it, then it drops off at 5 years 3 months, they can keep it for 7 years, but 5 years 3 months no payments they drop them.

The others have a long time to go, they are much cheaper $80 and $30, I will pay them once the $523 drops off.

My goal is to be @ 720 by end of next year.

Nov 14, 2017

I JUST READ SOME REVIEWS AND COMMENTS. IM INTERESTED IN KNOWING. DO YOU KNOW ANYONE PERSONALLY HERE? AND EXACTLY HOW CAN YOU HELP OTHERS GET CREDIT?

Nov 14, 2017

Me? no I don't know anyone.

Nov 14, 2017

THEN YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. I DID FIND SOME PEOPLE DO CLAIM SUCSESFUL OUTCOME WITH THIS CARD AND YOU DEGRADED AND INSULTED THEM TO A PERSONAL LEVEL. IM HERE TO REBUILD MY CREDIT AND WILL TAKE GOOD ADVICE FROM ANYONE WHO OFFERS IT. IF THEY HAVE THIS CARD OR NOT THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT BAD ADVICE BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE IT OR IT HAS NOT WORKED OUT EXACTLY FOR YOU. YOU SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO THOSE PEOPLE THEY CLEARLY HAVE MORE CREDIT EXPERIENCE THAN YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT A BULLY BEHIND A KEYBOARD I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOUR TYPE.

Nov 14, 2017

ANSWER MY QUESTION. HOW CAN YOU HELP PEOPLE GET CREDIT LIKE YOU SAID MANY TIMES IN YOUR COMMENTS? YOUR NOTHING BUT A FAKE, DISRESPECTFUL AND UNCIVILIZED. ARE YOU AN ADULT? WOW I REALLY DISLIKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU. BULLY. I WILL IGNORE YOU FROM HERE ON.

Nov 14, 2017

I know you are Mrs inoa05, girl you just can't get enough of yourself, how many accounts you going make?

Nov 14, 2017

Mrs inoaO5, this id was too easy, I knew it was you from your first reply to me, please make your next fake id, a challenge OK?

I will give you a hint, every reply to me was all caps, that's first red flag, second red flag was repeating what you already said, third red flag taking sides in any argument that this id wasn't involved in.

Look forward to your next fake id, I will be here setting them up and bringing them down.

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® Secured Mastercard®