Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 24.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

Our Take

The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® is a good option for people with little or no credit history who are looking to build their credit.

What to Like

This Capital One® Secured MasterCard® has no set up or processing fees. Capital One® reports to all three major credit bureaus so you can take steps to build your credit history. While this card does require an initial security deposit, Capital One® may increase your credit limit without any additional deposits if you use your credit responsibly.

Look Out For

Secured credit cards are great for building credit, but they typically come with annual fees and a required security deposit--and without rewards. It’s important to use your credit responsibly in order to build toward a card with more attractive perks.

Feb 20, 2016
Aveah Cardholder

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise.

You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags.

One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do?

I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit.

So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that!

Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score.

1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it.

2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month.

3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon.

4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful.

5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand.

6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active.

7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 09, 2015
Great for building credit
Marky447 Cardholder

This card was extremely helpful in helping me to restore my good credit. You all know all the basic stuff to do to get your scores higher and keep them there. So I won't get into any of that. Whatever you do, though, don't feel that you need to put a huge deposit into this card to have a huge available credit, for a better score. That won't matter very much. I wouldn't do more than a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. That way the whole account is easier to keep up with, and it won't let you do crazy stuff to get yourself into a credit problem. Just remember this: Capital One WILL NOT ever, never, ever return your security deposit until you close your account, which is the only way to get the deposit back. They will give you small increases to your credit limit, but nothing that will make you smile. Now, having said that the only way to recover your deposit (if it's a small one, just let it sit there until the Rapture...and beyond) is to close your account, just keep this card for only one year, then if your credit score has climbed up to Fair or better, apply for an unsecured card and close this one, assuming you get the new card. Then go on from there, primarily keeping utilization at or below 20%. Do not secure this card with more than a couple hundred bucks because you're never getting it back! At least for as long as you have this account open.

Oct 23, 2016
ClayPh Cardholder

The card is great for building credit. I paid 49 dollars deposit and received 200 and then after 6 months i received 500. Also my credit is way better and was approved for Amazon credit now thanks capital one.

Edzy Cardholder

Capital One is great,fair and actually help people.

mrkidc2 Cardholder

The card is good but having to call cs is a hell i wish on no one and i don't like having to wait a after I've paid my bill for my card to be reloaded but that's just me other than that it's ok

TZ2615 Cardholder

I applied for this card, and have a 301 limit. I use it and then pay it off completely as soon as i can, i have never been late on a payment , and my score has risen significantly. it has gone up over 100pts.

Oct 18, 2016
Just recieved

For those of you wondering about delivery times to receive once applying, here's my personal experience: added deposit on 10/04 they took the funds from my BofA account on 10/05 recieved an emailing stating my card was shipped on 10/15 and got in my mailbox today 10/18!

Oct 20, 2016

Thanks for this post. I was wondering that because I should be expecting one soon. Thanks so much

Oct 21, 2016

Just received my card to two days to come out of account. Put down deposit on Sunday. Came out of account that Tuesday. About a week later received an email that the card was on its way. Received card 3 days later

Oct 17, 2016
Great for rebuilding credit!
Rmartino84 Cardholder

I applied for this card with a 540 credit score and was approved for a $200 cl with a $49 deposit. About a month after receiving this card I started getting other credit card offers in the mail. After 5 months of on time payments they increased my cl to $500 without me requesting an increase. I recently got approved for capital one quick silver card as well with a $500 cl. I now have multiple credit cards and my cs is a 622. I'm definitely not one to write reviews this is actually my first. I'd definitely recommend this to someone trying to fix their credit. I have nothing but good things to say about this card and what it did for my credit as well as giving me other credit opportunities. Does exactly what it says!!!

Oct 19, 2016

Did you really get approved for the Quicksilver card (unlikely, as it requires great credit) or for the QuicksilverOne card (likely, as it only requires fair credit)? The Quicksilver card is a Visa card and doesn't have an annual fee; the QuicksilverOne is a Mastercard and carries an annual fee. They're not the same card.

Oct 22, 2016

It is the quick silver one.

Oct 17, 2016
Hope this helps someone else....
Hawkatoa Cardholder

The first step to fixing any problem is admitting that there is one. We are all victims of circumstances beyond our control, occassionally guilty of making a bad situation worse, and at some point, guilty of being "young and dumb". Ultimately, each of these had a hand in my financial ruin. I lost my job, my student loans were in default, my car was repossessed, I was elbow-deep in collections, and I had no assets to my name. Unfortunately, I was not among the lucky few who receive the most important lessons about money, lending, and the importance of savings. I had to learn by making huge mistakes. After years of scrambling to find a job with my Masters degree, I got a job which finally lended me some semblance of financial stability. I was able to begin repairing the years of damage to my financial health. This required facing a lot of hard truths about my lack of financial knowledge and responsible experience with handling my money.

First, I contacted the Department of Education to rehabilitate my student loans. I set up an affordable payment plan based on my income, and made nine months of full, on-time payments. Once I completed this process, my positive payment information was reported to "The Big Three", and my loan was transferred back to a traditional servicer. Next, I addressed each of my collections one by one with all three credit reporting bureaus. As it turns out, many of these collections were for medical bills I had never received. I found out during this process that they did not send any of my bills/information to my given mailing address. Once they discovered their egregious error, they pulled the accounts from collections and re-billed me as if I had just received them. This caused 5 collection accounts to be removed from all three bureaus at once, and all it took was two phone calls.

Next, I needed to obtain some kind of open line of credit to assist with the reporting of positive payment information to raise my scores. After a lot of research and careful consideration (and anxiety), I bit the bullet and applied for the Capital One Secured MasterCard. I was very concerned after reading the reviews, as there were individuals with higher CK scores than mine who were denied (557TU, 469EQ). Thankfully, I was approved for the $200-limit card, which I increased to $250 by adding more to my initial deposit. I received the card at the end of September, and have only used the card once so far. I saw through the CK reviews that some individuals received a "hard hit" on their reports after applying for this card. However, I only received the hard hit after submitting the official application for the card... not from the tool that Capital One provides on their website which tells you if you may be likely to qualify.

In just two months, TWO MONTHS, I have raised my score 46 points with TU, and 86 points with EQ, and this is before the reporting of my current student loan payments and the use of the Capital One card. It is a daunting process, but I can tell you from personal experience that every minute you spend on the phone/online to clean up your credit is absolutely worth it. My credit is still not out of the woods, but I am in considerably better shape than I ever have been. Because of this process, I feel empowered when addressing my finances, not hopeless. I made significant strides to repair my credit, and I did it all without spending a dime on an attorney. It can be done. Don't give up!

Oct 17, 2016

Yay to you for pulling yourself out of your credit issues by your bootstraps. Keep up the good work!

Oct 17, 2016
Great card to rebuild credit history.
Anonymous Cardholder

I started off with 200 credit limit with a 50 dollar deposit.  After having cards for five months was giving 300 credit increase. I would  recommend  this card.

Oct 16, 2016
Good card with a few flaws
BigFluffyDog Cardholder

I have had this card for a little over 2 years now, so it's time for a more comprehensive review. I did write a review shortly after opening this card, but after two years, my perspective has shifted a bit, so I think a balanced review „with more experience“ is in order. ;-)

I applied for the Secured Platinum in September 2014 with fairly poor credit. After a highly unpleasant episode with identity theft during which someone else had opened a number of accounts in my name and let them default (something I wasn't aware of, as I had never applied for credit in any way, shape, or form; therefore it had never even occured to me that I needed to check my credit reports regularly. Terrible mistake on my part), my credit score was horrid. When I found out about the derogatory/defaulted accounts, the statute of limitations was about to expire or had already expired for those accounts, so I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie, not run the risk of re-instating a statute of limitations, and just wait until those bad accounts would be removed from my credit report, while actively beginning to build/rebuild my credit. After doing some reading, I figured a secured credit card would be a good way to start, and I chose the Capital One's Secured Platinum card and got approved for a $300 CL with a $200 deposit. My CK credit score at that time was around 580, but the FICO scores were significantly lower (530s). This was in September 2014.

I used the card heavily and responsibly. With such a low CL, I paid the card off weekly, sometimes several times a week, to make sure my utilization would always be below 30%; and I also always paid the balance off in full before the statement date, so my reported balance always showed $0, while I let $1200 to $1500 run through this card every month. After faithfully paying the card off in full every month, Capital One's „Credit Steps Program“ gave me an automatic credit line increase to $500 after 5 months. I still have that very same CL today (which is a bit frustrating).

After 7 months of using the card, my credit score had improved to the low 600s (622TU and 615EX); enough for me to apply for a cash back card for folks with „fair“ credit, and – again – I went with Capital One and applied for the QuicksilverOne Mastercard. I got approved for a $750 CL, again low, but I wasn't going to complain, as my goal was (still is) (re)building credit. I would like to apply for a mortgage in 2018, so that's the long-term goal I've been forcusing on.

Now I had two cards that I used heavily, again in the same style: Use a lot, pay off several times a month, keep reported balance at $0. With this „policy,“ Capital One gave me an automatic CLI on my QuicksilverOne after 5 months, marginally increasing the CL to $1250. So within a year of being approved for a secured card with a $300 CL, I now had $1750 credit between both cards; my credit scores had advanced to the 680s, and I began applying for more "prestigious" cards with better benefits (like the DiscoverIt card and the AmEx Blue Cash EveryDay) and got approved with no issues.

Fast forward:

At this point, my credit scores have improved to 764TU, 763EX, and 750EQ, and I have 6 credit cards, all always paid off in full before the statement date (in addition to the two CO cards I now have an AmEx BlueCash Everyday with a $9000 CL, DiscoverIt $2400, Chase Freedom $1000, and Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard $5000. Capital One has also increased the CL on my QuicksilverOne two more times to a total of $5750. Yet, the Secured Platinum is still stuck at $500 with my $200 deposit.

The Secured Platinum is a good way to jump start your credit score journey, and it certainly did a great job for me. I started with a $300 CL and a CS in the 500s two years ago, and now my CLs total $26,650 while my credit scores are in the „very good/excellent“ range; so I'm very happy about that.

HOWEVER, there is a downside: If you decide to go with this card, please know that you're pretty much stuck with a very low credit line, some of your cash tied up in a deposit until you close the account, and no way to graduate to an unsecured card or a CLI beyond the single automatic CLI after 5 months, and all of this comes with a $29 annual fee.

I have talked to CO's customer service a few times, trying to get the fee waived, the security deposit released, get a CLI, or attempt a product change to a more attractive card (something you'd think possible with credit scores in the mid-700s and two years of on-time payments in full), alas, every one of my requests has been denied, and repeatedly so, as the policy for this specific card does not allow for any of those changes. I would like to keep the account open, because it is my oldest account and closing it might hurt my credit history, but at this point, the fee and security deposit no longer make sense to me, and since my overall credit history is short with several accounts (all in good standing) opened relatively shortly after the secured credit card, I will close this account before the next annual fee is due and suck up the 7 months of „lost“ credit history. In the overall picture, the hit my credit score and history will take will likely be rather minor. But for some people, this might be a significant hit, and if you're unsure whether or not you can (or want to) have your deposit tied up for as long as you keep the account open and if you're unsure as to your willingness to keep paying an annual fee for a card that doesn't provide any cash back benefits, I would suggest to start (re)building your credit with a secured card that does allow for you to switch to an unsecured account eventually. When I opened this card, I was not aware that I would be stuck with a secured card for all eternity, and I think I would have side-stepped this card, had I been aware.

All in all: It is a solid card that will help you (re)build your credit, but there might be better options out there, depending on your individual situation. Don't be me; but do a better job at doing your research. ;)

Oct 17, 2016

Thanks to Capital One SC my credit went from 550 to 679 within a year. Started off with my 300 CL and increased to 600 after 5 months then 1600 6 months later. I am so happy!!! I plan to wait til my 2nd year before I apply for unsecured. I have Discover secures card and this one. My thing is I use the cards all month and don't touch my checking un less it's rent time or time to pay my balance. Always always under 30% if that high. But I want to see increases continuously.

Oct 19, 2016

Congratulations on your increased credit score, BelovedDovey, and keep up the great work!

Oct 20, 2016

I'm in the same exact boat you were right now, debating on closing the account but worried on taking a hit on my credit score. Did you take a hard hit, points?

Oct 21, 2016

That's not true I've had this card since feb 2016 and my CL is $2k and I started off with $99down and a $200 CL. This card does increase but will never be unsecured.

Oct 23, 2016

How long did you wait before applying for unsecured card with Capital one?

Oct 15, 2016
So far so good!
Anonymous Cardholder

I applied with a 558 credit score accepted immediately with a deposit of 49 dollars. I paid it immediately and got my card within a week. I've had no problems so far and applying for the card alone raised my credit score 8 points. I have yet to use it and my credit score keeps going up. It's now 580 and I haven't done anything yet. I guess I'll update if something goes wrong.

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®