Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 24.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

Our Take

The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® is a good option for people with little or no credit history who are looking to build their credit.

What to Like

This Capital One® Secured MasterCard® has no set up or processing fees. Capital One® reports to all three major credit bureaus so you can take steps to build your credit history. While this card does require an initial security deposit, Capital One® may increase your credit limit without any additional deposits if you use your credit responsibly.

Look Out For

Secured credit cards are great for building credit, but they typically come with annual fees and a required security deposit--and without rewards. It’s important to use your credit responsibly in order to build toward a card with more attractive perks.

Feb 20, 2016
Aveah Cardholder

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise.

You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags.

One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do?

I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit.

So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that!

Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score.

1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it.

2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month.

3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon.

4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful.

5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand.

6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active.

7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 22, 2016
Decent but not great
ITLady Cardholder

I've had this card for 10+ years.  I got it to rebuild my credit under a secured card, sent my deposit and got a $200 limit (which I understood because I had bad credit) a few months later, they raised my credit limit to $300.  I've never had a late payment or any issues with the card, but my credit limit has also never been raised again.  They switched the card from a secured to an unsecured a couple years ago but when I did ask for an increase (in the last year, I have a score of 740 now) their system still sees it as a secured card and requires another deposit, when I try the deposit it sees it as unsecured and won't let me do one.

I only keep this card open because it's my oldest revolving credit account.

Very poor customer service
bratsch68 Cardholder

Grabbed this card to start rebuilding my credit from a bankruptcy.   It sounded good at first and helped get my credit score moving upwards again.  After the first 4 payments, everything seemed to be good.  Make a payment via the app, transfers from checking to Capital One, next day it's available.  Sounds good right?  No!   Of all the days Capital One could have honored their customer service skills, they failed miserably.   Ran through the same steps as the last four to transfer funds to the Capital One card.  My bank verified the funds were transferred, received a "Funds have been posted" email from Capital One, but noticed the balance did not change.   Called Capital One, we got my bank on the phone (who verified the funds were sent to Capital One and would be availabe at the end of business that day), but Capital One kept stating 2-3 days for the funds to clear.   Sorry, I'm not buying the fact that the money is out of my account, bank verified the transfer, stated the funds would be available to Capital One that day (end of business), Capital One confirmed they posted the funds to the account, yet Capital One would not correct the balance....leaving me in a difficult position of having no money available to get home (Friday's are fuel day, grocery day, and an evening with the wife).   Three different people from Capital One....same results.   Sorry, you've lost my business and I will definitely make sure word of mouth gets out about the customer service from Capital One.

Feb 17, 2017
Im very confused about this card
rossiterJenny Cardholder

Okay, I got this card on Jan 14, I did months of reading reviews on this card and others before I made the choice to get this one.. I made that choice based on the reviews that the card holders score went up very fast. Well I got the card, I used it , I made the payment (in full) a month before the due date.. I was all excited to check my score and Nothing ..ok not a big deal.. Checked again after an update on CK and crap I was so suprised! my credit score went dow 20 points and yes the card is listed on there with a 0 balance but does not say I made a payment. and to loose 20 points...What am I doing wrong? how come all these people are getting huge jumps in their credit score? Im starting to think they are not real people but maybe employees of the card co? I dont know but now im scared that I have a card and what is the point in useing it if it is not going to help me..Oh well, it is what it is.. sad but not a dam thing that can be done about it.

Feb 17, 2017

Make sure you keep your card usage less than 20% and you should get pleasantly surprised . Thank me later :)

Feb 18, 2017

Mines went down to ck. But on myfico they went 40 to 50 points on Tuesday and equifax. My experian went up as well but ck dont track it. But to be honest i dont know own what to believe cause ck uses vantage score which is what the 3 credit bureaus sent me when I requested them. They didn't send me a fico score. So all of these score stuff is really confusing to me. Like how can they say 90% of lenders uses fico score but the 3 credit bureaus uses vantage scores. I know this is true because I applied for a art van card and got denied because my score was 554 which is my vantage score.

Feb 15, 2017
It was my first credit card
Banryoku Cardholder

It was my first credit card and they helped me build my credit

Very good starter card.
Big123454 Cardholder

Very good card they gave me one when nobody would... I did have to pay 49$ deposit or whatever it is ... started me with 300 then gave me a increase to i think 500 then now im up to 1250.00 just make sure you pay on time

Feb 17, 2017

I've recently started my credit rebuilding journey. How long did it take for your CL to increase that much? I don't want to spend it; I just want to have the available credit on my report. Thanks!

The worst card
Ramonsantos169 Cardholder

Keep track of your initial deposit credit card dose not match your deposit and reports late payment regardless of your initial deposit on card remaining they bill late fees and interest regardless of your exsisting deposit billing cycle on monthly bill is after the due date for next reporting for credit bureau shows late payment on bill pay and on autopay bill you twice on statements min state on bill montnly cycle but the report return if carrying full balance is not paid month to month the worst card they damage you credit for seven years if one late payment although you show zero balance mess up your fico scores will not return deposit loses track of transaction edit before posting bad reviews

Feb 16, 2017

Just so you know, when you have a secured card, you can't use your deposit to pay your monthly bill! Your deposit is your deposit, it doesn't count towards what you spend. They only use your deposit if you default on your payments and then you will have screwed your credit right back up again.

Feb 16, 2017

Lol! You just don't know how to manage credit! Never had an issue with this card!

Feb 15, 2017
The worst reporting to burueas
Anonymous Cardholder

Keep track of paymenta and know you cut off dates for reporting to credit bureaus due dates are set up after bureau reporting dates on statement dont confuse bill pay with auto pay card bill you for max on monthly billing cycle month to month no carrying over balances and the keep you initial deposit reports late payment although deposit still out standing they dont match yours deposit for credit what you deposit its what you use although they have deposit outstanding of your own money not theres your still late the worst card to establish credit damages uour fico for aeven years on one late payment one they take your money they wont give it back loses track of transaction also reviews are scan never post negative result

Great! It works

Waited to do review. I had this card for a year now. And its helped my credit. After 6 on time payments they gave me a credit line increase and I checked my account a couple days ago and they gave my deposit back. The APR is high that kinda sucks but I like that it has no annual fee. So far everything is good with this card.

Feb 19, 2017

How did they give your deposit back or should I say WHY did they give your deposit back and how long does it take after you started working with the card for them to give you your full? deposit back and how much did your credit score go up,? Everyone else is saying that they never get their deposit back from them,? Why is that? Someone is lying...

Feb 14, 2017
UPDATE
Htowngirl22 Cardholder

I applied for and got this card back in September 2016. I paid $99 deposit, $200 credit limit.  I messed my credit up when I was younger and was trying to rebuild, still in the process of doing so. I always pay before the due date, usually in full...a couple months I have left a $10 to $12 balance.  My 6th statement was just posted, and I went to check my account and saw that I was given a credit increase of $300.  Capital One has been good to me when no one else gave me a second chance, and I am more than grateful!

Feb 15, 2017

An increase OF $300 meaning your limit is now $500 or an increase TO $300?

Feb 16, 2017

An increase of $300, total credit limit is now $500.

Feb 13, 2017
Best to build your credit
Anonymous Cardholder

I had files bankruptcy 3+ yrs ago and I was looking to rebuild my credit. This is the best chance with rebuilding. I like having a low credit limit because I can pay it off faster and maintain a budget.

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®